No announcement yet.

Fuel Sender Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you should hook up the #1 battery negative to the fuel gauge if you want the electrons to flow out of and back into the #1 battery

Comment

I'll come back and read the detail of your jumper tests after coffee -

but the thing that jumps out,

your diagram does not show the engine/ its battery as part of your "common ground"

Comment

wont work that way.
        no negative path.

Comment

You essentially have the positive power from one battery, and the negative "power" from another battery hooked up to your gauge. But those two batteries are not hooked together. There is no "circle" for the juice to flow thru. Batt 1 needs to get tied into the common ground circuit.
          2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
          1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

^^^^this is what I suspected was the issue. But could yall explain how the *****ing motor works when its power and ground are provided by 2 batteries in series.
            Jason
            1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Your two batteries that the *****ing motor is connected to... they are hooked up properly in series, which means they are essentially one battery. Because they are in series, you double your voltage, but the amp hours stay the same. In parallel, it would keep the volts the same, but double the Ah.
              2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
              1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Comment

No way I'd wire it like that. What's to be gained by having all the ground leads connected ? I would keep that *****ing pair of batts separated. Maybe add a 2 bank charging converter for a shore power outlet.

Comment

Fuel gauge/sender issue resolved. Just like im using tach harness to power gauge Im using its ground pigtail for gauge ground.

Appreciate all the input. Had a case of the brain farts when originally connecting gauge.
                    Jason

Comment

Brain farts are common.
                      not a lot of people knew what they were just a few years ago

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                        Brain farts are common.
                        not a lot of people knew what they were just a few years ago
                        For me it seems to occur most often when dealing with electrons.
                        Jason

Comment

Working...
                        X