2005 Yamaha F225 headache

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Yamaha F225 headache

Starting at the beginning I guess is the smart thing to do. My mechanic found me a 2005 Yamaha F225. I checked the plate and see that it is a F225TXRC which means, as I understand it, was manufactured in 2004. I am Installing a Multifunction Tachometer which is 6Y5-8350T-83-00. So in inspecting the engine harness, I find that it is a 69J-82590-30-00 that is, as I understand it, is a 2003 harness. It has one ivory female connector with two leads, I can not tell the color since they are faded.

I've run the main harness and hooked it up, but now I am apprehensive to run and hook up the 68F-82553-80-00 oil/trim harness thinking that I might have the wrong harness.

Very confusing so any help would be greatly appreciated.

is IS very confusing -

fortunately Boscoe here understands it and hopefully will respond

"C" means it is a "2004 model" - likely built in 2003

An ivory connector with two leads - I believe that is for the trim

You don't have a second ivory connector on the engine harness with 4 leads?

Comment

Captsolo, the exhaust issue was completed, but I do not recall the hours. Presently, the motor has 770 hours.

Fairdeal, there is no second ivory connector unless it is invisible. The female ivory connector has two leads that I believe are pink/black and black, but they are faded white except for the stripe. I wish someone had a 2003 F225 Service manual where one could look at the wiring diagram at the end of the manual

Comment

Something is not adding up.

An F225TXRC would have been delivered with a 69J-82590-40-00 main engine harness. The 69J-82590-30-00 harness was used on the F225TXRB model.

2003 F200TXRB Yamaha Outboard ELECTRICAL 3 Diagram and Parts

What is the complete engine ID that is shown on the data plate? Should be 69JX and then some numbers. What are the numbers.

Both the F225TXRB and the F225TXRC should have two trim/oil connectors attached to the main engine harness. See illustration below:
        Last edited by boscoe99; 05-08-2017, 08:42 PM.

Comment

The entire data plate reads:

69J F225TXRC

Comment

Yep, it is an F225TXRC. Should have had a -40-00 main engine harness installed. But in any event either harness has the two trim oil connectors.

With the introduction of the F225TXRD Yamaha changed to just one trim/oil connector.

Comment

I searched for hours for a second connector and could not find one. The mechanic also searched and could only find the one female connector. I'm wondering if a different color connector was used.

Comment

Originally posted by rpambrun View Post
                I searched for hours for a second connector and could not find one. The mechanic also searched and could only find the one female connector.
                Hmmm.
                Actually one connector is female, the other male.

Plus a third (2-pole) for the trim sender -
                all as Boscoe's drawing shows above.

Looking at the parted-out harnesses available on eBay,
                I noticed - inexplicably - that in the course of removal,
                folks were plugging the two engine oil/trim connectors together -
                of course they mate...

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                  Hmmm.
                  Actually one connector is female, the other male.

Plus a third (2-pole) for the trim sender -
                  all as Boscoe's drawing shows above.

Looking at the parted-out harnesses available on eBay,
                  I noticed - inexplicably - that in the course of removal,
                  folks were plugging the two engine oil/trim connectors together -
                  of course they mate...
                  Bad design on Yams part IMO. If two plugs adjacent to each other can be plugged together then folks will do that. Usually no harm no foul with those two connectors. But Yam should have used connectors that would not mate with each other IMO. The manufacturer is supposed to be smarter than their customers.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                    Bad design on Yams part IMO. If two plugs adjacent to each other can be plugged together then folks will do that. Usually no harm no foul with those two connectors. But Yam should have used connectors that would not mate with each other IMO. The manufacturer is supposed to be smarter than their customers.
                    well, we'll see what rpambrun says -

the reason I brought it up -

maybe whoever de-rigged the used engine he bought
                    also plugged those two together.

Its the only explanation I can think of for why he (and "the mechanic") can't find "the other" oil/trim connector:

that he's found the trim sender plug - and the other two are right there - connected to each other.

Comment

Back from the boat and my search for the missing connector. Fairdeal, I saw that item on Ebay and figured that someone just wanted to stow the plugs for neatness.

I spent part of my afternoon looking for the elusive connector and then I realized that I may have been looking at it all the time. There was a smaller ivory colored connector coming from the engine harness, It had a pink wire and a black wire. I traced it and sure enough, it was the other connector. I just need to figure out the adapter that will adapt the male connector and connect to the female connector on the wiring harness to the Tach. I believe I read something about this situation somewhere, but I can't remember where so if anyone has any idea on an adapter, I would appreciate the info. I'm ready to bring this boat home and use it. Thanks

Comment

glad you found it!

I think you are with fine with the 68F-82553-80-00 oil/trim harness -
                        because you DO have two plugs on the engine harness.

You would need an adapter harness with a later engine, that only had one plug

Comment

What I am wondering is how do I adapt that found connector to my 68F-82553-80-00 oil/trim harness since the connectors are different. The data from the engine won't get to the tach gauge unless it is plugged into the oil trim harness.

Comment

Comment

Well, I've almost concluded that my engine harness (69J82590-30-00) is a rogue or reject harness. The one ivory connector that will fit my 68F-82553-80-00 oil/trim harness is a male connector and it has two wires that are cream in color and one has a black stripe. Those colors could be faded although there are no other faded wires that I've noticed. The other ivory colored two pin connector that has two wires and they are solid pink and solid black. They go to the trim sender. The connector will not fit the 68F-82553-80-00 oil/trim harness and must need an adapter or a jury rig splice of some sort.
                              Last edited by rpambrun; 05-09-2017, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X