60 hp problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60 hp problem

Looking for advise on my 1995 two stroke 60hp. Starts and revs as it should and pumps water. The problem is that under load the engine dies around 1400 rpm, annoyingly not all the time but 7 times out of 10. When it picks up then no problem. Would appreciate any comment as I live on an island and no nearby agent to help.

Carbs need cleaning
    off idle ports/passages must have some plugging

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      Carbs need cleaning
      off idle ports/passages must have some plugging
      All three of those buggers.

Comment

Thanks for that, had my suspicions but, as always, looking for an easy fix.

Comment

Cleaning the jets and lower end of the carb(s), shouldn't take long, usually doesn't require any parts, just time... Make sure you R&R the jets, see light thru them. A quick spray with carb cleaner does NOT count..

If you don't have a shop manual, click on the upper right, "Purchase Yamaha parts", plug in your info and bring up your carb. I gather your NOT in US so your model may not be listed. You can get a good idea, roughly where the main and idle jets are.

And I wouldn't run it till it's fixed, you don't want to lean out and cook a cylinder...
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by forbesmcg View Post
            Thanks for that, had my suspicions but, as always, looking for an easy fix.
            Try the Jewish tune up. been touted here by some. Easy and free.

Comment

I have my doubts that would help on the off idle ports if that is what his problem is, but how knows

Comment

But if it's easy and free, let er rip, won't hurt

Comment

I have my doubts that would help on the off idle ports if that is what his problem is, but how knows
                  How or who?

Gotcha!
                  Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                    How or who?

Gotcha!
                    Yes you did, the old fingers and brain seem to be slowly failing

Comment

Yes you did, the old fingers and brain seem to be slowly failing
                      That's ok, mine too.... I suspect the main jets are simply clogged on the 60HP...

Just did a Honda 6 HP carb yesterday.. Throttle butterfly actually frozen solid, main jet, clogged solid. Waiting on a fuel pump now...
                      Scott

Comment

he said 3 out of 10 it will get past the 1400 RPMs and run fine.
                        I do not think that would be a clogged main jets
                        Last edited by 99yam40; 05-09-2017, 08:53 PM.

Comment

he said 3 out of 10 it will get past the 1400 RPMs and run fine.
                          I do not think that would be a clogged main jets
                          Piece of crap moving about in the bowl getting into the jet(s).

Should be obvious if taken apart in a very clean area...

Hopefully the OP, will be inspecting closely as he goes thru them..

I like to actually FIND an issue. Cleaning and not finding any issues but now runs good, is ok.

My customers Honda engine, the jet was eventually removed (with a bit of persuasion), and was very clogged needing a jet cleaning bit, (second smallest I had) to open it up... The drain on the bowl was clogged with varnish as well!!
                          Scott

Comment

3 carbs on this motor
                            hard to believe all 3 main jets would plug off at the same time to kill the motor just some times

Comment

3 carbs on this motor
                              hard to believe all 3 main jets would plug off at the same time to kill the motor just some times
                              You only need one carb, clogged, to kill 33% of the power (1 jet out of 3) and turn it into a 40 HP. And it's happening the majority of the time.

There's likely some crap in the others as well.

Single bowl each, pretty simple. It'll take longer to R&R than to clean...

Kind of a moot point as they all need to be checked and cleaned anyway.

Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X