No announcement yet.

2 stroke 115hp thermostat housing bolt snapped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got the head off. A couple of the bolts had some corrosion, but most came out no problem. Will call around a few machine shops now.
    I've been wanting to take the heads off since I got the engine to take a look in the cylinders, just didn't have a good reason to. Cylinders look good, will prob do the other side as well and put new gaskets. It's an old engine but very little use. From 2002 until I got it I know it was used in freshwater only 100 hours total. Before 2002 I don't know the history. Anyway, I'm hoping to get another 10 years out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
      Machine shop job now. Take the head off and bring it to a good machine shop. They will mount the head on a milling machine and use a CARBIDE end mill and cut the bolt and easy out from the hole. Chase the threads with a tap. They may have too oversize the hole and put in a helicoil to bring the hole back to size.

If you would like to see a video on this...

https://youtu.be/WeLYDf_NwY0

He is the "Getter out" guy in Perth Australia.

I have removed many, many broken off easy outs. They much harder then a drill bit and that makes them brittle and easy to break off. Only thing that will cut an easy out is a carbide end mill or carbide drill bit.
      Thanks for the link, I've sent the guy a message.

Comment

Originally posted by davehank View Post
        Thanks for the link, I've sent the guy a message.
        Honest to god, I never noticed that you where in Perth, Australia...lol

I just happen to subscribe to Bruce Withman's YouTube channel as he does similar work as I do.

What are the chances of that happening...holy crap.

He is the king of getting out broken studs, bolts, taps, EASYOUTS, ect...

I am interested to know how much he would charge to fix that hole..

Comment

I just happen to subscribe to Bruce Withman's YouTube channel as he does similar work as I do.

His shop is just 20min down the road I'm taking it round this evening. I'll let you know how much it costs.

Comment

Originally posted by davehank View Post
            His shop is just 20min down the road I'm taking it round this evening. I'll let you know how much it costs.
            Tell him a subscriber from the other side of the planet set you on to him....by chance..He probably get a kick out of that...lol

Comment

Bruce is going to charge $135 AUD ($100 USD) to remove the bolt and put an insert. I've left it with him. Fingers crossed I could be back ont he water this weekend.

Comment

When I put it back together should I replace the bolt I broke with the Yamaha part, or can I use a stainless bolt from the hardware store?
                When I install the bolts should I use copper grease or other lubricant?
                Anything you'd recommend taking a look at or replacing while I've got the cylinder head off?
                Thanks

Comment

Buy the Yam bolt. Never copper. Eats aluminum.

Comment

Inspect / clean the water passages if needed...

That insert will be stronger than the original threaded hole..

You can put a dab of grease on the bolt threads for easier, later removal.

Good and sung!
                    Scott
                    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                    X