T8 running poorly after winter laydown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T8 running poorly after winter laydown

Due to some knee surgery, I am very late this year in dewinterizing my boat motors, one of which is a 2004 T8plrc.

I'm pretty sure I didn't fog or in any other way winterize the T8 kicker like I did the main bwefore winter last year.

It took a long time, but I finally gor the T8 to start, and even with new plugs and running it for 1/2 hour on 2 gallons of fresh gas with a pint of Sea Foam in it, it still won't rev up without being choked. It will start and idle, though a little roughly and a little slowly, and if I very slowly and carefully give it throttle, it will stumble up to about 1500 RPM then fall back to about 1200 RPM unless I advance the throttle further or more quickly. If I do either of those things it will immediately die, even after running for 1/2 hour. If I give it full choke, it will rev up further past 2000 than I am comfortable taking it on earmuffs. In fact under full choke, it almst seems like it runs pretty well.

Where do I start?

Thanks-

Clean the carb bowl out with some Berryman's Chemtool spray (Walmart). Remove the drainplug and spray it up in there to flush everything out of the bowl and jets.

Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike-

I'll be off to Wally World tonight!

Comment

Eureka!!

The Berryman's helped a lot, but even after 1/2 dozen flushes, it ran better, but not correctly; still ran better when choked. So I removed the carb, took the bowl off, took the jets and nozzle out and blew them clean with the Berryman's and put everything back together, and it runs like a top!

Next time I remove the carb though, I'll follow the service manual's suggestion and remove the intake manifold with the carb still attached. Nearly drove myself further around the bend with the inside carb bolt.

Thanks again, Mike.

Comment

Working...
        X