2012 F115XA Trim Slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 F115XA Trim Slow

My trim started to get slow over the winter. It trims up and down good until it is being trimmed down when the two pistons make contact then it sounds like the motor is struggling to retract the pistons. I made sure the fluid level is good and there are no leaks in the system.
    I disconnected the green and blue wires from the relay and used a good battery to energized the system with the exact same results.
    It does seem to improve when I run the trim up and down a few times but reverts back to being slow after a short period on no use.
    The engine is only a few years old and has maybe 250 hours.
    My common sense tells me if it was the trim motor going bad it would act the same, both going up and going down. I'm leaning toward something in the hydraulics.
    I am a hydraulic mechanic on fighter aircraft and look forward to tearing into a trim/tilt unit. Is there kits for rebuilds out there or is this something I should leave to the professionals?

Sounds to me like something well within your area of expertise.

Years ago, I replaced the cylinder seals on an old OMC 85. Special wrench required to remove the caps but after that it was pretty straightforward.

***I know next to nothing about YAM T/Tilt mechanisms.

Comment

Originally posted by oldmako69 View Post
      Sounds to me like something well within your area of expertise.

Years ago, I replaced the cylinder seals on an old OMC 85. Special wrench required to remove the caps but after that it was pretty straightforward.

***I know next to nothing about YAM T/Tilt mechanisms.
      Well, it starts with a special wrench....

Comment

Just fixed a slow t/t, turned out to be corrosion in the motor from a water leak. Mine was noisy as well as slow.

Comment

Some links that may help:

4-stroke Yamaha Trim Wrench

Pin Wrench - AMT0004 - 38mm X 4mm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfPyXNQQOf4

Your hydraulic parts fisch:
          http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...201/parts.html

The electrical end of the T&T:
          http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...202/parts.html
          Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-26-2017, 10:16 AM.
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by scofflaw View Post
            Just fixed a slow t/t, turned out to be corrosion in the motor from a water leak. Mine was noisy as well as slow.
            Did you re-grease the Mid shaft bushing with the proper grease?
            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
              Did you re-grease the Mid shaft bushing with the proper grease?
              Wasn't my issue, still had the noise with the lower off. Noise seems to be coming from the injectors, but hard to believe it's as loud as it is. Also not a big fan of a 6 cylinder motor running on 4, and that's when it can be heard the loudest. Noise gone when it hits on all 6. Annoying but starting to accept it as normal.

Comment

Originally posted by scofflaw View Post
                Wasn't my issue, still had the noise with the lower off. Noise seems to be coming from the injectors, but hard to believe it's as loud as it is. Also not a big fan of a 6 cylinder motor running on 4, and that's when it can be heard the loudest. Noise gone when it hits on all 6. Annoying but starting to accept it as normal.
                Tks..

Back to the thread...
                Scott

Comment

That's kind of what I was hoping. I'm going to replace the motor this weekend, part is on order. If that doesn't do the trick I was thinking of flushing the unit. I may do that anyway while I have it on the bench.
                  I figure that I can replace the motor and clean the old one and have it for a spare. Spare parts are good to have.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainPJ View Post
                    My common sense tells me if it was the trim motor going bad it would act the same, both going up and going down.
                    perhaps.
                    but when I put an ammeter on the t/t/ motor of my F225,
                    I was surprised to find that lowering the motor requires substantially more power than raising it:

tilt/trim pump motor
                    "from full down to full up"
                    during "trim" 16 amps
                    during "tilt" 29 amps

tilt/trim, pump motor
                    "from full up to full down"
                    during "tilt" 20 amps, dropping to 10
                    during "trim" 42 amps, dropping to 30

Comment

Working...
                    X