tilt/ trim stopped working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tilt/ trim stopped working

was out today and when i came in I raised the motor and it came up part way and the pump started to make a noise like it striped out, got it home and it will not go up or down, trying to remove unit but cannot get it out , does the motor have to be off the boat to get the t/t unit from between brackets? can't get to the back bolt for the motor without removing tilt/trim assy. from bracket, any ideas please

which motor do you have?
    loosen the bypass on the starboard side of motor brackets to raise motor, lock into raised position and you can access the t/t mount bolts on the sides, then unclip top pivot pin and push out pin. maybe you are just low on fluid?

Comment

I have a 1986 90hp, got all the mount bolts and the pin out just can't get it out from between the brackets, doesn't sound like low fluid, worked fine this morning when I went out

Comment

retract cylinder and should lift up and out.

Comment

going to ck fluid level before I pull it out, do you ck it at the drain hole in the reservoir? that is the only one that is marked,I can't find one that says fill. anybody got a diagram of where it is located or a picture

Comment

will it hurt the motor to run it trimmed all the way down, need to use it for vacation if not fixed by then

Comment

mossboss,
              You can find a diagram of your outboard in the online catalog above. Here is a link to the power t/t unit. Item #20 is the "reservoir plug" - I believe that is where you want to add fluid until it starts flowing out:

http://www.boats.net/yamaha/partsyst...mponent=372412

But, as you can see, it looks like the "reservoir plug" is at the front of the unit. I don't know how much room you have between there and the transom . Should be at the back or side.
              It won't hurt your motor to run with it trimmed all the way down, but if you try to get up on plane, the bow is probably gonna "plow" on you.
              Also, be careful towing and launching with the motor all the way down. Better to pick up by hand and drop down the tilt locking lever. Gonna have to loosen the bypass valve all the way to do this.
              Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
              Ken K

Comment

Working...
              X