No announcement yet.

F150 balancer experiment ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any idea how much an entire unit costs then? I have a reason for asking.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
      any idea how much an entire unit costs then? I have a reason for asking.
      Just shy of $400.00 plus sealer

2006 and Later F150TXR Yamaha Outboard CYLINDER CRANKCASE 1 Diagram and Parts
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I was thinking that someone would have a repair service for those. Send in your old one and have repaired or exchanged. using steel gears instead of plastic ones. The gears would not be expensive to have made if buying in bulk. The Labour to change them out....I don't know.

No money to be made if they are only $400.00 for the whole part...I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
          I was thinking that someone would have a repair service for those. Send in your old one and have repaired or exchanged. using steel gears instead of plastic ones. The gears would not be expensive to have made if buying in bulk. The Labour to change them out....I don't know.

No money to be made if they are only $400.00 for the whole part...I guess.
          Under warranty, Yamaha took them back. There were oiling upgrades as well if you would from the early versions(mine initially was a model 2). It got replaced with a "3" years ago...

Plastic/composite INSIDE, working a heavy unit, just plain dumb..
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

They rotate at 2x engine speed!

Comment

actually, those shaft I think are hollow.

Comment

Just for information sake, if the balancer is disassembled for what ever reason, the ARP TTY bolts that fasten the bearing caps are NOT an off the shelf item from ARP. I have been down that path and had email confirmation from ARP that those specific size, thread TPI and length bolts are not available!..... and if you look at the parts list from Yamaha, all parts that make up the balancer are NOT available seperately. Ya gotta buy the whole unit

I looked at CNC machining and case hardening new shafts with steel gears but the hurdle to get over was the bolts. There are other design bolts that could do the job, but the biggest concern i had with that idea was the amount of counter acting vibration the balancer creates can either work loose those bolts or snap them at the head. That was not a risk i was willing to take nor re using the old bolts.

Replacing with a new balancer from yamaha looks like the only solution at this stage Damn shame really.

Cheers
                Scotty

Comment

I would remove the shafts before trying to concoct some rigged version. Vibrations not bad just gets annoying after awhile. $383 included tax and shipping. Cheaper than MANY other odd parts on this engine.

Comment

Originally posted by scottcmb1965 View Post
                    Just for information sake, if the balancer is disassembled for what ever reason, the ARP TTY bolts that fasten the bearing caps are NOT an off the shelf item from ARP. I have been down that path and had email confirmation from ARP that those specific size, thread TPI and length bolts are not available!..... and if you look at the parts list from Yamaha, all parts that make up the balancer are NOT available seperately. Ya gotta buy the whole unit

I looked at CNC machining and case hardening new shafts with steel gears but the hurdle to get over was the bolts. There are other design bolts that could do the job, but the biggest concern i had with that idea was the amount of counter acting vibration the balancer creates can either work loose those bolts or snap them at the head. That was not a risk i was willing to take nor re using the old bolts.

Replacing with a new balancer from yamaha looks like the only solution at this stage Damn shame really.

Cheers
                    Scotty
                    These 8 bolts?

adult imagecertificity.com

In the world of bolts, they appear to be grade 20. They are brutally strong. I may keep them just for the hell of it. I thing the aluminum case would melt away before anything happened to these. Like you said, they are unique, certainly in appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by scottcmb1965 View Post

Cheers
                      Scotty

Let me try this without my pic.

Those 8 black bolts are brutal. No way they will fail. If bolts are graded 1-10 for strength, they are 20. I may save them just for the hell of it.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                        Let me try this without my pic.

Those 8 black bolts are brutal. No way they will fail. If bolts are graded 1-10 for strength, they are 20. I may save them just for the hell of it.
                        They are TTY ( Torque To Yeald ) bolts or "Stretch bolts" as they are also known as...... they are a ONE time use only bolt..... the same type that are used on connecting rods... not reccommended for a second time use in its application. But if you want to run the risk of complete engine failure and reuse them, be my guest.

Cheers
                        Scotty

Comment

I used for three years. No issues. Just as tight as day one.

Comment

Working...
                          X