DX150 TLRC Possible Fuel Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DX150 TLRC Possible Fuel Issue

I have a 2004 DX150 TLRC 2 stroke motor. When accelerating, on occasions, the motor will take off and then start surging breifly, like possibly starving for fuel.

At other times, when running 3K-3.5K rpm's, it start surging briefly, again like it is starving for fuel. If I hammer down on the throttle when sh starts surging, she takes off and no issues. When the problem does occur, it always seems to be at 3K - 3.5K rpms.

I have done the following:

- replaced fuel filter/water fuel separator
    - Replaced spark plugs
    - cleaned VST tank & filter/screen
    - Verified all fuel line connections and checked fuel line/bulb for leaks
    - Added Lucus Oil "Tune-up in a bottle" to fuel

As mentioned above, this doesn't happen every time out. For the last week including this past Saturday shen ran like a champ, no issues. This past Sunday, it happened on several occasions throughout the day. I have not lost any top-end speed, or noticeable hole shot, and she idles fine without any miss, sneezing, or stalling. I didn't run the boat today, have a trip planned for tomorrow.

This boat/motor does not sit up, I run it 3 - 5 times per week, every week. I trailer this boat and purchase gas from a very busy store that is frequented by boaters and it is ethanol free gasoline (87 octane). I am pretty sure its not the gas as I know several others that fill up from the same station and they are not experiencing any fuel related issues.

Any idea what may be causing my problems or what I can start trouble shooting?

Thank you.

Injectors may need to be serviced. Probably about time.

May need to check fuel pressure when the issues occur.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
      Injectors may need to be serviced. Probably about time.

May need to check fuel pressure when the issues occur.

I have cleaned the injectors and replaced O-rings. I have also replaced the primer bulb on fuel line for good measures.

What kind of fuel pressure should I be seeing?

Comment

I have a limited library and no X models listed. Hopefully one of the others will post the fuel pressure for this model.

Also, have you tried squeezing primer ball when the problem happens? That might point to a fuel line restriction or a lift pump weakness.
        Last edited by pstephens46; 04-25-2017, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Also, have you tried squeezing primer ball when the problem happens?[/QUOTE]

I am running a tower boat and the primer bulb is down below me on the deck. I just replaced, and will go run it.

The problem is intermittent, I may go a week or two, and no issues, then all of a sudden the problem will occur.

I will provide an update after today's trip.

Comment

After cleaning injectors and changing out the primer bulb in the fuel line, she ran as good as she ever has yesterday afternoon. No surging, no hesitation, she just performed as expected.

Because this problem has been occurring intermittently, and not every time out, I am reluctant to state the problem is sorted.

I am heading out of town tomorrow morning for a tournament, and if I don't follow-up on this thread on Monday morning with additional symptoms, then the problem was sorted by cleaning fuel injectors and replacing fuel line primer bulb.

As always, thanks for the help. You guys have always been able to diagnose my problems and offer solid advise. Great job.

Comment

There was a recent thread about the primer bulb failing. Not only not priming BUT a check valve clogging, IE, no fuel flow...

It may very well be that simple a fix..
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
              X