Has around 500 hours on it.

Comment

Part #28 to start with:

2004 VZ250TLRC Yamaha Outboard CYLINDER CRANKCASE 1 Diagram and Parts

Parts 2, 5 and 24(more than one):
      http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...202/parts.html

part #6:

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...203/parts.html

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-26-2017, 09:04 PM.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Forgive me if this sounds sarcastic....what does resealing lower unit mean?

We had a couple people with water pumps lately where sealer was used by some random mechanic. , it shouldn't have been... mine included..

Comment

Resealing lower unit = installing new seals and gaskets

Comment

TownsendsFJR1300 so pull those covers and flush from each one?

Comment

If flushing with acid didn't work before I don't think it will do much more.

It may be time to pull the water jackets and have a look. Be aware and prepared to drill out some broken bolts. Take pictures too!

Comment

TownsendsFJR1300 to pull head to cleanthem all i need to replace it the 2 gaskets on each side correct? #16,22 & 44,38?

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                  If flushing with acid didn't work before I don't think it will do much more. I suggested the flushing as it was mentioned sand may be in the jackets, which the "acid treatment" won't affect.

Inspecting inside the jackets will give a good idea if it's sand build up(kinda doubt it), but to rule it out. It's easy enough to pull the lower anodes (check/replace while there) and flush.

It may be time to pull the water jackets and have a look. Be aware and prepared to drill out some broken bolts. Take pictures too!
                  See bolded....
                  Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-27-2017, 04:58 PM.
                  Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Slanglinais85 View Post
                    TownsendsFJR1300 to pull head to cleanthem all i need to replace it the 2 gaskets on each side correct? #16,22 & 44,38?
                    I'm not sure what parts page your on (for those part #'s), but there are rubber grommets to keep the anodes from leaking.... Half the time, they come out buggered up unless recently replaced. You may find the anodes to be in poor shape while there. I'd personally wait till their out as you may have to replace them anyway. I'd get the grommits at the same time.

If there was any question about sucking sand thru the WP, I'd be checking that pump as sand will cause some serious wear and tear to it...

Re-reading your first post, I suspect the heads will have to come off and passages cleaned if the above doesn't pan out. You'd need head gaskets (2), and the water cover jacket gaskets(2) as well..

From my earlier post, #3:
                    (BTW, my neighbors 200 did the exact same thing. The lower water passages were 98% clogged with hardened salt. Once cleaning out(the head too), ran great, no more alarms. Actually, quite amazing it ran as good/as long as it did with that clog...)

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-27-2017, 05:07 PM.
                    Scott

Comment

I was just thinking as finicky as the big block Hdpi seems to be, I would want that cooling system system to be perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                        I was just thinking as finicky as the big block Hdpi seems to be, I would want that cooling system system to be perfect.
                        I agree Pat...

This seems to be a fairly common issue with the larger 2 strokes (from what I've read here and actually worked on).

The OP, wanted other potential options before pulling heads... We don't know if the Yamaha shop he went to brought up the passages being clogged / the CORRECT fix. An acid dip, obviously isn't the correct fix, hands on/cleaning IS...

I suspect he'll be doing that...

*The Yamaha shop down here (maybe 4 years ago) wanted $800 for the job (for my neighbor). We fortunately didn't have and broke bolts. (Much caution used for "sticky bolts")
                        Scott

Comment

Those numbers were refering to the gasmets if i were to pull heads. I will pull anodes first and inspect them. Hopefully this weekend. I will post pics.

I was at the coast when i started having the overheat issues i just pulled it out of the water amd drove it over to the shop to get some input so my whole weekend wasnt a wash so they did a quick flush on it. I live 3.5hrs from the coast. And the closest boat shop for me is still an hour from my house in San Antonio which i have never used.

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it. I will let you know what i find this weekend if i can get to it.

Comment

I would suggest storing this boat at 99Yam40's house near Houston. Little closer to water and you wouldn't have to haul it back and forth. Plus he is a pretty good motor man too.
                            Last edited by pstephens46; 04-27-2017, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slanglinais85 View Post

I was at the coast when i started having the overheat issues i just pulled it out of the water amd drove it over to the shop to get some input so my whole weekend wasnt a wash so they did a quick flush on it. I live 3.5hrs from the coast. And the closest boat shop for me is still an hour from my house in San Antonio which i have never used.

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it. I will let you know what i find this weekend if i can get to it.
                              So the motor is a "fresh water" engine for the most part?

And your welcome...
                              Scott

Comment

I live an hour west of San Antonio, usually fish Port Oconnor or Aransas/Rockport area.
                                No mostly saltwater. Every blue moon i will take it on the small lake here.

Comment

Working...
                                X