F225 Cylinder head anodes - Gasket fitment Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F225 Cylinder head anodes - Gasket fitment Q

So I pulled the anodes out of my engines today. The old ones were toast.
    I also replaced the thermostats.

Here's my question, I replaced the rubber gaskets / grommets as well and I could not get them to seat on the anode "carrier". I have no idea what that gizmo is called, but it bolts to the head, and the anodes bolt to it. The gasket is quite fat, and it appears to be a compression fit. Either that, or I got the wrong gaskets.

I ended up sticking the gasket in the hole in the head, then carefully inserting the anode (bolted to its carrier) through the gasket prior to bolting it up.

I started the engines up and ran them for about 20 mins and no leaks were evident. Can someone please tell me that I didn't dork them up and this was the correct method? There was zero guidance in the Yam manual. Imagine that.

Mako,

I just replaced the andes on my 2005 F250, I think they are the same set up as yours. I followed the same process as you. Install grommet in engine casing and put the anode and anode carrier in place and tighten. Ops checked and no leaks.

Regards Bill

Comment

those grommets have always struck me as odd.

Here's a photo I have of an assembly as it was removed

and below it a "fresh" one - ready to go in.

I have always worked the grommet into position as in the photo;

I suppose an alternative would be to pre-set the grommet into that counterbore in the head and then push the anode though it

I think i usually rub a little silicone grease on all surfaces of the rubber grommet

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post

I have always worked the grommet into position as in the photo

I think i usually rub a little silicone grease on all surfaces of the rubber grommet

+1 ^^ is how I did mine about a month ago. A little oil or grease on the seal and they slipped right in(with a little twisting/turning).

If it's not leaking, you should be good... Kinda hard to pinch those "seals"...
        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-14-2017, 07:45 PM.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

No leaks? Good to go. Maybe one good thing about salt water....leaves a trail if something is leaking. Check for salt trails periodically.

I would like to see pictures of Solo's 12 year old anodes.

Comment

Thanks for the verification. Although in looking at your pics I am fairly certain that I received incorrect anodes. Mine have a different taper which makes the gasket issue even more important. Next time I will endeavor to grease those mothers up and ensure they are seated properly.

I also changed out the four T-Stats and installed both Low and High PSI fuel pumps on the port (problem) engine. I'll run to today with the intake plenum and rear anode / spark plug cover off to insure that I have no leaks.

Previous owner had torn into the VST and pried open the High PSI pump. The bottom of it had a ragged edge as if he had gone around its perimeter with a screwdriver to disassemble it.

These are the aftermarket pumps I installed. I'll post again if / when they crap out to get an idea if they are worth anything. I paid less than the price listed for the low pressure pump.

FUEL PUMP FITS YAMAHA 225 225HP 4 STROKE TURD TXRD TUR 2005 2006 AND LATER | eBay

https://www.amazon.com/Mercury-Outbo.../dp/B00XYXX8KY

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
              No leaks? Good to go. Maybe one good thing about salt water....leaves a trail if something is leaking. Check for salt trails periodically.

I would like to see pictures of Solo's 12 year old anodes.
              Would a trail of tears leave salt tracks?

Comment

Originally posted by oldmako69 View Post
                Thanks for the verification. Although in looking at your pics I am fairly certain that I received incorrect anodes. Mine have a different taper which makes the gasket issue even more important. Next time I will endeavor to grease those mothers up and ensure they are seated properly.
                My anodes are like Fairdeals...

When the dealer bought out what Yamaha calls for, very different looking, about $8.00 apiece. Told them their NOT what I took out. They didn't know the difference.

Went home, brought the best one down that I pulled and they matched it exactly. EXCEPT for the price. It was about $21 A PIECE

Being they lasted 11 years, I bit the bullet and put these expensive ones back in...

They have an opening for an allan key in the end (if that helps). You couldn't see it on the old one's with the corrosion. And they do of course thread onto the bolt.

BTW, my "mount" did NOT have the washer between the bolt and the mount (as called for in the parts fisch). It was that way from yamaha, which I did buy and install..

The LEFT one cleaned up (didn't re-install) and was from the top part of the engine.
                The farther down you went, the worse they got..

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-15-2017, 10:22 AM.
                Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                  Would a trail of tears leave salt tracks?
                  Yep. On the laptop keyboard. When you click the order button for some of these anodes.....

Comment

Originally posted by oldmako69 View Post
                    So I pulled the anodes out of my engines today. The old ones were toast.
                    I also replaced the thermostats.

Here's my question, I replaced the rubber gaskets / grommets as well and I could not get them to seat on the anode "carrier". I have no idea what that gizmo is called, but it bolts to the head, and the anodes bolt to it. The gasket is quite fat, and it appears to be a compression fit. Either that, or I got the wrong gaskets.

I ended up sticking the gasket in the hole in the head, then carefully inserting the anode (bolted to its carrier) through the gasket prior to bolting it up.

I started the engines up and ran them for about 20 mins and no leaks were evident. Can someone please tell me that I didn't dork them up and this was the correct method? There was zero guidance in the Yam manual. Imagine that.
                    Next time try dropping the whole thing (anode and seal) down in a pot of boiling water for a minute or two. Then push the seal into place.

Mind your fingers...

Comment

Working...
                    X