Difficulty getting from forward to reverse . F20B motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difficulty getting from forward to reverse . F20B motor

I have difficulty starting the engine because the engine is not fully in neutral. It clicks from forward into neutral, but then i can't engage reverse unless I just rotate the prop a fraction. then forward and reverse can be engaged and the engine easily started. This is not easy with the engine mounted on the boat.
    Is there an easy way to overcome this please? When the engine is running, the gears work fine.

Shifters are made to function when the motor is running. Nature of the beast.

If you have having difficulty shifting the motor when it is not running then stop doing that.

Maybe the last time the lower unit was reversed it was not properly done, in which case the lower unit shift mechanism is not synchronized properly with the shift mechanism on the motor.

To facilitate removal of the lower unit the motor will need to be shifted into reverse. To get better access to the coupling and jam nuts. The only time to be doing this. Make sure the kill switch lanyard is pulled. Rotate the flywheel or the propeller to help it shift into reverse. Remove the lower unit.

Ensure the lower unit is fully in reverse. Push down on the lower shift shaft to do this. Make sure the shift handle is in the reverse position. The reinstall the lower unit. Reconnect the two shift shafts using the coupling nut. Run the jam nut onto the coupling nut to lock it in place. Now return the shift handle to the neutral position.

Reinstall the kill switch lanyard. You should be good to go. Now if the motor fails to start because of the neutral switch position then maybe that needs to be adjusted.

Comment

if no one has been playing with the lower unit and the neutral start safety switch is not lined up properly now, something is broke or bent

Comment

Many thanks for the expert reply. The motor is new to me, and my concern would be that if a quick start were needed, I would be caught short. I will need to engage the services of some experts here in Scotland to help me. I appreciate your efforts to help me.

Comment

Many thanks for your reply. The motor is new to me and I will have to have it sorted out. I appreciate your trouble . Cheers

Comment

Working...
          X