Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muff shape

2008/2010 Twin F150s
    Seems like the round muffs have no problem sealing around pickup screens and primes pump and flows good. Today I broke the hose fitting on the muffs (5 yrs old) and went out and bought a pair with rectangular shaped ears. I can't seem to get these to work...like they don't seal good enough. My engines usually pee at about 6 seconds ...after no pee at 8 seconds I shut it down.
    The rectangular seem to cover a larger area but the round seem to seal better. Couldn't find the round ones locally. Anybody else had this happen?

do the new ones have the plastic spring arms?
    maybe they are just not putting \enough pressure on the cups to seal against the motors curved housing

I thought my 1st post hit close enough
    Last edited by 99yam40; 04-11-2017, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Are you sure you hose water pressure is good?....I had a small kink in my garden hose once and it cut the pressure and flow.....

Comment

Care to comment on the proper muffs Boscoe?

Comment

use the muffs and the flush hose attachment,
          also make sure the tell tail is not plugged up

Comment

My 2005 F150 will not pee on muffs alone. I use two hoses. One on flush attachment and the other on muffs. Never fails and never overheated this way.
            I believe Rodbolt has stated this motor and a couple others have trouble on muffs alone.

Comment

No sky too high, no muff too tough.

You may get too old to cut the mustard, but you can still lick the jar.

In the ear,
              In the rear,
              In the air,
              Anywhere
              We don't care.

I like my muff all groomed up. Muff that flows well. Keeps the temperature down a tad.

Comment

Ones left to assume the OP is using the same water spicket, therefore no change in water pressure, compared to when he was using the old round muffs. Ive never heard the shape of the muffs bearing any significance, or one shape being better than another.

99yam makes the only vaild point I can think would cause no TT flow since using the new muffs. The V-like extensions the muff cups attach to may not be narrow enough. Brand new, and when NOT installed, these two opposing cups should be touching. If they are apart by an inch or maybe even less depending on the size engine, that gap of space btwn the cups represents the amount of spring (applied pressure) not applied over LU intake.
                Jason
                1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Originally posted by Kirk Gibson View Post
                  2008/2010 Twin F150s
                  Seems like the round muffs have no problem sealing around pickup screens and primes pump and flows good. Today I broke the hose fitting on the muffs (5 yrs old) and went out and bought a pair with rectangular shaped ears. . Anybody else had this happen?
                  I have the same set up, (round muffs) and yes, my hose attachment broke MANY years ago.

I simply bought a female garden hose CONNECTER , (of the correct ID size-the repair end for a garden hose) and replaced the broken part with the new part. A SS hose clamp finished it up..

Basically, pulling the broken part from the muff cup and slip the new one in.

You may be able to use the the NEW muff female and and do the same thing.

My neighbor has those rectangular muffs and they suck. Their not nearly as tight and the leakage is WAY more than the smaller/tighter round one.

I just ran mine with the round muffs yesterday. It'll run all day on them W/O overheat. My muffs are EASILY 15 years old...

http://s176.photobucket.com/user/SRT...ff81b.mp4.html
                  Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-09-2017, 08:04 AM.
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

and I don't use the muff at all.
                    I simply use the Yamaha provided flush attachment and continue on.
                    life is to short to fight a muff.

Comment

Muffs

Yes same spigot, pressure, etc. as before.
                      I think it must be the spring tension. the new ones appear as though they have the same diameter steel rod but it it doesn't feel as stiff as the old round ones. Yes I repaired the old ones last night. I may try the new ones and put a C clamp on them and squeeze them tighter just to prove the point.
                      Rodbolt, I wanted to run the engine on the muffs so if I use the flush port on the engine wouldn't I fry the impeller after a few minutes? ... I don't want to start beating a dead horse but it says in the book not to run the engine when using the port.
                      Does water flow down to the impeller and keep it from frying when using the port?
                      Thanks for your experteeze.

Comment

I think the owner's manual also says to always were a life vest and to affix the kill switch lanyard to one's self.

How many boaters do you suspect do that?

Comment

first you could then you could not.
                          I have run them on the flush port since Yamaha started installing them.
                          I wait until water is exiting the water intake then fire it up.
                          what you cannot do is run it much above idle.
                          well you can but that may damage things.,

Comment

I believe there are people that run only on the hose attachment,but not for long periods of time , and get away with it.
                            But to be on the safe side I would follow the Yamaha owners manual suggestion and not

Comment

Or use two hoses. Or not.

Make sure no drinking alcohol while operating your vessel. Or sleeping.

Tell the women to put on some clothes too.

Comment

Working...
                              X