Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that carb has a pilot fuel JET.
    it is located way down a tiny hole.
    if that passage is plugged it wont idle.
    by hitting the choke you bypass the jet and force fuel into the intake.

Comment

I haven't had it in the drum for a few days. It means taking the outboard off the boat and having a local guy deliver it by motorcycle.

I done this twice already. Each time it ran well in the drum but it takes the better part of the morning and costs money both ways.

Bry

Comment

Why are you using a drum to run the motor in?

Is the motor positioned in the water in the drum exactly as the motor would be positioned in the water if on the boat? It needs to be.

Some people have never had to use a heated ultrasonic carburetor cleaner to successfully clean a carburetor. Good for them. I will ask them for some numbers for this weeks Powerball lottery.

A few have had to use a heated ultrasonic carburetor cleaner to successfully clean a carburetor. May you are one of the few.

Or maybe it is not possible to clean your carburetor which might mean a new carburetor is the solution.

Comment

New parts coming Monday. I will rebuild the carb to the best of my ability and go from there. No heated ultrasonic carburetor cleaner in this neck of the woods; nor a Yamaha Dealer.

A bit of wire is the best I can do.

Much thanks, don't give up on me!!!

Comment

Do you have an air compressor to help blow out orifices?

Couple of other options, purchase carb cleaner where you dunk and soak the carb body. Hopefully, it'll clean out your clogged orifice.

If not, you can buy a very good ultra-sonic cleaner for less than $150.00

Also, most jewelers use an sonic cleaner for jewelry. You my ask a local Jeweler to drop your carb body in the tank for an hour or two... That should clean out the small orifices
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Ask your local jeweler to soak your carb. HAHAHAHA. Funny stuff

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                Do you have an air compressor to help blow out orifices?

Couple of other options, purchase carb cleaner where you dunk and soak the carb body. Hopefully, it'll clean out your clogged orifice.

If not, you can buy a very good ultra-sonic cleaner for less than $150.00

Also, most jewelers use an sonic cleaner for jewelry. You my ask a local Jeweler to drop your carb body in the tank for an hour or two... That should clean out the small orifices

I still do not understand how a screwed up carb would allow the motor to run/idle properly while in a drum of water but bad on the boat in the water unless the motor is sitting deeper in the water on the boat and the idle relief exhaust ports are plugged up and holding too much back pressure on the exiting exhaust gases

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  I still do not understand how a screwed up carb would allow the motor to run/idle properly while in a drum of water but bad on the boat in the water unless the motor is sitting deeper in the water on the boat and the idle relief exhaust ports are plugged up and holding too much back pressure on the exiting exhaust gases
                  I agree 100% doesn't make sense, idles in a tank, but not in water..

The only differences are tank, line, maybe primer bulb.

I can't get confirmation ALL the boats tank, line, etc, was transferred over for testing.

So, he gets to chase his tail around..
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I haven't hauled my fuel tank and hose up to the water drum. But I have run the outboard on the inflatable with new fuel, new tank, new strainer, and new fuel line with bulb. The results were the same.... no idle. In the water drum, it idles just fine and for close to half an hour.

I moved the motor directly from the hill to the harbor and didn't get twenty feet from the dock.

Boy!!!!

New carb parts arrive Monday... stay tuned!

Comment

Originally posted by scofflaw View Post
                      Ask your local jeweler to soak your carb. HAHAHAHA. Funny stuff
                      Why not? I clean all of my diamond earrings, nose rings and navel studs in Yamaha carb cleaner in the shop ultrasonic cleaner. Man do they sparkle.

Comment

I wish my outboard would sparkle..

Just to be clear, there are no jewelers around here, either.

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300
                          What about your tongue barbell?
                          I lost it somewhere. Got into some snapper one night and it got taken away from me.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                            I lost it somewhere. Got into some snapper one night and it got taken away from me.
                            These are the things that will keep you awake at night.

Comment

Got my carb parts in this week and got the carb off the engine without dropping it into the water. Bonus!

I replaced the pilot adjusting screw and spring; the main nozzle and main jet; and the pilot jet. The rubber cap over the pilot jet seemed to have some kind of packing around it. Looked like a wrap of denigrating masking tape. Didn’t know what it was so just stuck the plug back in place. It felt like a firm fit.

Also couldn’t figure out how to remove the jet where the needle valve seats. So I cleaned it in place with wire and hosed it down with carb cleaner. And is there supposed to be a gasket between the carb and the engine block? Looks like a smear of gasket goo and that’s all.

Reassembled, the engine started right up. The idle is too high, but it DOES idle!!!

So great job, everyone. I learned so much, I can’t thank you guys enough.

Bry

Comment

Congratulations. It should now be a simple matter to turn down the idle RPM by using the idle RPM screw.

You may or may not need to make an adjustment to the idle mixture screw. Hopefully not.

Comment

Working...
                                X