steering problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering problem

I have a 1989 pro v 150. At slow speed the steering works fine, and plane speed it is very difficult to turn the steering wheel in either direction. Any help would be appreciated.

When was the last time you greased the steering tube using the zirk fittings?
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

cable or hydraulic ? They are both harder to turn at speed

Comment

steering

It is cable, so I guess I just have to live with it? I can only find one grease fitting and it is impossible to get at with a grease gun.

Comment

Originally posted by jerry ruder View Post
          It is cable, so I guess I just have to live with it? I can only find one grease fitting and it is impossible to get at with a grease gun.
          If it's rusted up inside, it should be hard to turn even sitting still (been there done that).

Is your trim tab set correctly? It'll usually pull hard to one side if not..

One cable I had froze up and couldn't loosen, another I was able to save with lots of penetrating oil and making a big mess...

It would benefit you, once fixed, to install one of these:

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/stee...guard-7-8.html

Which goes over the steering rod and bolts to the engine pivot shaft

It keeps ALL water out of your cable. I bought one (after repairing as posted above) and transferred it to my current 1997 Angler. Steering is STILL smooth as silk. That part is easily 25 years old...
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I'd suspect the cable.

Comment

You can remove the flexible grease gun extension. Most unscrew. Then attach it to a plastic tube of grease, which wud make it easier to get to zirk fitting.

Dunno how long you've had the engine, but if the steering tube has not had grease (annual maintenance), this could most certainly cause difficult steering.

With cable steering, normally the only time when it's more difficult to turn engine compared to hydro steering is when your throttling up to get on plane. Before or after should be easy.

If the anode is really off, i could see how it would be difficult to steer to opposite side of direction engine is pulling. But if the anode is centerline then this isn't the issue.
              Jason
              1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Any updates?
                Scott

Comment

In another lifetime, I had a very very old OMC 85 with a similar problem. Instead of removing that bolt I simply drilled a hole in the existing steering bolt, tapped it and screwed in a zerk fitting. Problem solved for less than a quarter. Yes, the grease scraper inside the old bolt was probably toast, but with a shot of fresh grease a few times per summer it was good to go. I ran it like that for 10 years and never had an issue with steering. Well, other than torque steer.

Comment

Originally posted by oldmako69 View Post
                    In another lifetime, I had a very very old OMC 85 with a similar problem. Instead of removing that bolt I simply drilled a hole in the existing steering bolt, tapped it and screwed in a zerk fitting. Problem solved for less than a quarter. Yes, the grease scraper inside the old bolt was probably toast, but with a shot of fresh grease a few times per summer it was good to go. I ran it like that for 10 years and never had an issue with steering. Well, other than torque steer.
                    I'm assuming you know, adjusting the trim tab (per the owners manual- mine is one "notch" to the right -looking at the bottom upwards-or towards starboard), offsets quite a bit of that torque steer.

The folks that re-powered mine had it set straight, absolutely terrible. Needed two hands to hold the wheel tight to go straight..
                    Scott

Comment

steering problems

Thanks to all for the help. I took the steering rod off and the motor turns freely, the steering wheel also turned freely. I am going to try resetting the trim tab and see what that does.

Comment

Thanks to all for the help. I took the steering rod off and the motor turns freely, the steering wheel also turned freely. I am going to try resetting the trim tab and see what that does.
                        From my Yamaha SHOP manual (and where I have mine set at). When it was straight(ONE MARK), absolutely horrible... You do want it on THAT SIDE, (unless your prop turns opposite of "normal".)

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-02-2017, 02:58 PM.
                        Scott

Comment

Working...
                        X