No announcement yet.

1998 130 hard to start cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suspect a good carb cleaning is in the OP's future.

With emphasis on good. I don't mean to spray some voo doo solu tion down the throats.

Comment

Originally posted by ausnoelm View Post
      Explain exactly what this means.
      Why? Do you have some ideas?

Comment

Possibly, just trying to grasp the exact problem, it sounds like after it starts, it will start OK if you turn it off, so, that being said, the choke and associated operation needs to be checked, it runs OK once he has started it, so that kind of indicates the carbs are OK (maybe) but a proper clean may solve the problem, just need to fully understand.

Comment

Explain exactly what this means.
          Takes a long time for motor to start. I am engaging the starter for short periods of duration, over a long period of time. After it finally starts for the first time, it is easy to start.
          Last edited by Chuck1234; 03-28-2017, 08:47 PM.

Comment

"Crank" means for the starter motor to rotate the engine.

A motor can be cranked but never started.

First comes the cranking, then comes the starting, then comes the running. Hopefully continuously.

Comment

Dam it,
              I am sorry for my miss speaking or typing
              should have been crank up (start)

dang it again I thought that was pointed at me
              Last edited by 99yam40; 03-28-2017, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Possibly, just trying to grasp the exact problem, it sounds like after it starts, it will start OK if you turn it off, so, that being said, the choke and associated operation needs to be checked, it runs OK once he has started it, so that kind of indicates the carbs are OK (maybe) but a proper clean may solve the problem, just need to fully understand.
                Yes, after it starts the first time it starts easily thereafter. Engine runs just fine. Which indicates carbs are good. Chokes work.
                Don't mind rebuilding and cleaning carbs if that will fix the problem. Just don't see any indication that carbs are not functioning properly. That said, I am by no means a carburetor expert. Only experience I have is rebuilding and/or replacing carbs due to ethanol damage.(I know better now. Nothing but ethanol free gas in all my small engines) As far as I know, this motor has never had ethanol run thru it.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                  "Crank" means for the starter motor to rotate the engine.

A motor can be cranked but never started.

First comes the cranking, then comes the starting, then comes the running. Hopefully continuously.
                  Fixed that.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck1234 View Post
                    Yes, after it starts the first time it starts easily thereafter. Engine runs just fine. Which indicates carbs are good. Chokes work.
                    Don't mind rebuilding and cleaning carbs if that will fix the problem. Just don't see any indication that carbs are not functioning properly. That said, I am by no means a carburetor expert. Only experience I have is rebuilding and/or replacing carbs due to ethanol damage.(I know better now. Nothing but ethanol free gas in all my small engines) As far as I know, this motor has never had ethanol run thru it.
                    Which means that part of the carbs are good. The part that supplies extra gasoline during a cold start, maybe not so good.

Comment

try some of our thoughts/posts just to rule things out.
                      #11 is a good start

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                        Which means that part of the carbs are good. The part that supplies extra gasoline during a cold start, maybe not so good.
                        Yup. My 4 wheeler carb has a starter jet for that.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                          try some of our thoughts/posts just to rule things out.
                          #11 is a good start
                          Will do. But the guy I bought it from is pretty sharp and he pretty much tried everything under the sun.

Comment

BTW, I do appreciate you guys taking the time to reply!

Comment

all you can do is try things yourself to make sure he did not try them

Comment

Looking at the picture of the carbs with the choke plates closed. Does anybody know why the bottom carbs choke plates have such big air bleed holes compared to the top carbs? Never seen that big of difference before...

Comment

Working...
                                X