Aluminum Prop vs. Stainless Steel Prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum Prop vs. Stainless Steel Prop

I recently purchased a Robalo R180 Center Console with a Yamaha 115 . The prop that came with the engine is aluminum. Is there any advantage or disadvantage with upgrading to a stainless steel prop.
    I will be using the boat in salt water.
    The salesman who sold the boat told me the stainless steel props make noise when you put the engine in gear. Has anyone heard of this issue?
    I would like some information before I spend almost $500 for a stainless steel prop.
    Thanks in advance.

Both propeller types have their plus' and minus'.

From an operational performance standpoint, I doubt that you will be able to see/feel/observe any better performance from the SS over the aluminum. Depends upon what you have versus what you change to. Some aluminum propellers will out perform some stainless propellers. There is much much more to proper propping than just the blade material.

By your words you have a 115 two stroke. Those are not susceptible to prop chatter/rattle. Hard to here it if it is there.

Now if you had a four stroke F115, and if you install a heavy SS propeller, there is a possibility that you will hear a disconcerting noise when the motor is in gear at idle RPM. But you say you have a two stroke so this does not apply to you.

Comment

Aluminum vs. Stainless Prop

I'm sorry I was not clear with my question. I have a Yamaha 4stroke 115hp

Comment

If you have an F115, and if there is a concern about prop rattle/chatter, or the possibility of the motor making a clunking sound when shifting into gear, with the use of a stainless steel propeller, then Yamaha has a solution in the form of a propeller that has an SDS hub. SDS standing for shift dampening system.

Other brands of propellers can provide a similar sort of a solution. Mercury, Solas, Powertech, etc..

Would be best if you can find someone (dealer or person) that has a propeller they will let you try. It can get expensive trying to find the correct propeller for a particular boat and motor combination.

Whatever you do, try and make sure that the propeller you use will allow the motor to turn at or near 6000 RPM when the boat is loaded, the throttle is wide open, and the engine is trimmed up to just the point of optimum efficiency. That is, don't over trim if you can.

Comment

There are many trade offs to be made in boating. Propellers are just one of many.

Comment

Working...
          X