squealing t/t unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squealing t/t unit

Got the unit on the bench for some motor work. Now would be the time to address it. Any clue as to the origin of the occasional squeal ?

A dab of grease on the tips of trim rams may cure it....

Comment

That's def. not where the squeal is coming from...motor pump area.

Comment

4 wire trim tilt

So 2 wires are ground..white and black....blue and green are the power. But am I correct in assuming that if either the blue or green is powered up then the other power colored wire goes to ground ? So now 3 grounds out of 4 wires ?

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa
          With the engine in the full tilt up position, as you lower engine down do you hear the squeal before trim rams are engaged?
          Yes, also looking for a way to bench test this unit before I install

Comment

I had a dry squeal as you described. I put a very light coating on the outside of the rams which stopped it. That was probably 3 years ago. No leaks, works fine, nice and quiet

Note, RB, later posted NOT to grease as I did. As Jason posted, just a touch on the ends normally fixes the squeal.

If neither fixes it, you may want to grease the main shaft the unit slightly rotates on (on the bottom)..

T&T is usually TWO WIRES only. One way to pos and neg will raise, reverse the wires, it should lower...
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

The squeal happens when lowering before it even hits the rams. More concerned it could be the pump....don't want to reassemble only to disassemble. 4 wire system. So ground 3 and hot wire blue or green ?
              Last edited by scofflaw; 03-27-2017, 07:54 PM.

Comment

I would think that a 4 wire T&T motor would have 2 hots and 2 grounds.
                one path each for up and down

maybe the pivot point on the motor is what is making the noise as it moves

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  I would think that a 4 wire T&T motor would have 2 hots and 2 grounds.
                  one path each for up and down

maybe the pivot point on the motor is what is making the noise as it moves
                  My T&T only has two wires total, must be a different set up altogether.

My $'s on the ram's being dry...

If you just want to move the rams to check, you could loosen the manual release screw(might be too hard pushing down by hand)
                  Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 03-27-2017, 08:02 PM.
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Dry ram sound is snap snap snap... my engine has not even got to the rams yet. Sounds like the pump is singing the sad song of death

2 hots 2 grounds. But, 1 of the hots has to be grounded to get the other hot to work. Think my issue is the relay, so ordered another, but would like to bench test this unit so I can get it installed. Relay won't be here fore a couple of days.
                    Last edited by scofflaw; 03-27-2017, 08:14 PM.

Comment

find a service manual, or maybe someone can post a little out of one if they have one for a 4 wire motor

I do not understand why you say one of the hots needs to be grounded.

on a 2 wire you would have to revers the 2 wires, but with a 4 wire ther would not be that need in my opinion. But I never played with a 4 wire

Comment

****ed with this enough to know the hots take turns being grounded. Looking for someone that knows this system. Looking for a way to test my motor so I can reinstall and get some of the work out of the way.

Comment

I do not see the reason behind having the 2 ground wires and having to ground one of the hot wires.
                          do as you wish

Comment

Squealing or popping sound? I had the popping but after it was bled correctly and full of fluid it stopped. Guess it was air bubbles. I would hose the rams with silicone spray to see if it stops the squeal. Silicone is not going to attract sand and dust like grease. Seals may be dry. Who knows? Use it. It's old....

Comment

it is mostly normal.
                              go play.
                              have a cool refreshing beverage.

Comment

Working...
                              X