No neutral after lower unit install.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No neutral after lower unit install.

Hello new guy here. I have a 2006 60TLR. I replaced the lower unit. It appeared to be rather straight forward. I bought an OEM unit. The problem I have is that there is no neutral? The prop will go forward and reverse. But when placed in neutral there is a little grinding and the pop continues to spin. I removed the cables and tried to manually move the selector and it doesn't deem to help? Is there some type of linkage adjustment in the process of putting on the lower unit? It did not slide up in there quite as easy as I thought it should? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

remove the lower unit again,
    make sure both the lower unit and controls are in neutral before installing.

I helped my brother with his C60 TLRZ and he had a twisted shift shaft and a bent pin thru the prop shaft from someone trying to force the unit into gear without the motor or prop turning.
    hope you did not do that to a brand new lower unit.

Comment

no,
      either the motor needs to be running or turned by hand ( which does turn the drive shaft)or the prop turned by hand on a none running motor so the clutch dogs can line up to move far enough to go into reverse gear. If like the older ones it is spring loaded to forward, so I do not think you can put any force on things going that way

Comment

The dog clutch can jam on outside of a notch creating stress on the shifting mechanism. Spin the prop while shifting allows to find a notch.

So to speak.....

Or has the world gone crazy as Rod suggested?

Where is Postis?

Things have suddenly picked up here.

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300
          I think you may mean without turning the drive shaft (clockwise) while trying to shift the LU (into neutral)
          actually I was more about the shifting into reverse gear not neutral and not sure why it would have to be turned clockwise.
          taking out of gear will not cause the dogs to bind anything up

also not sure why you said the motor not assembled in last post.
          the bending of things normally happens when someone tries to shift while motor is fully assembled, but not running causing the problem with clutch dogs not lining up
          Last edited by 99yam40; 03-28-2017, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

Things have suddenly picked up here.
            That is an understatement. It was dead for a while. Now quite busy.

Comment

Thank you guys very much for the help. I will redrop the lower unit although the alignment procedure isn't very clear to me still. When mating the two parts last time it took about 10 attempts because there was some resistance before they clicked together.

As far as I know I didn't "force" anything but I'm unsure. I did watch several youtube videos and no one spoke of lining anything up they just slapped the lower unit on? So if I have a bent piece will it usually be on the lower unit or on the motor shift assembly?

Thanks again for all of your input it is very much appreciated!

Comment

You may have shifted the lower unit somehow when trying to put lower back on. Shifter doesn't have to rotate much. My guess anyway.

Comment

Ok thank you Mr. Stephens.

Comment

Success??.................
                    Scott
                    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                    X