random clunk i forward gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• random clunk i forward gear

hello, i have just got an old 5hp ( 5cs/6e3 15553), goes smoothly into both gears, but now and again in forward, at all speeds it clunks, similar sensationto hitting a branch or log with the prop, when at full revs in forward the engine even jumps a bit, can i adjust the gear linkage or do we think dog gear/forward gear problem, thanks
    Last edited by piperdog7; 03-27-2017, 01:14 PM.

Originally posted by piperdog7 View Post
    hello, i have just got an old 5hp ( 5cs/6e3 15553), goes smoothly into both gears, but now and again in forward, at all speeds it clunks, similar sensationto hitting a branch or log with the prop, when at full revs in forward the engine even jumps a bit, can i adjust the gear linkage or do we think dog gear/forward gear problem, thanks
    You may have a worn dog clutch and it slips a "notch" when under load giving you that clunk sound and shaking the engine. I am not familiar with the linkage on that engine and how it is set up. Do you a Service Manual?

Here is a video showing a worn dog clutch replacement. It may help you diagnose your problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_A5OXC8p4s

Comment

Check your tilt and pivot bearings for play up and down/side to side.....also is your prop on good and snug?...

Comment

You know what year that old engine is?

Comment

the age letter isnt visable, but im sure it was made in the 80s

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
            You may have a worn dog clutch and it slips a "notch" when under load giving you that clunk sound and shaking the engine. I am not familiar with the linkage on that engine and how it is set up. Do you a Service Manual?

Here is a video showing a worn dog clutch replacement. It may help you diagnose your problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_A5OXC8p4s

+1 ^^^, sounds like it...
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
            X