2001 vmax overheat buzzer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 vmax overheat buzzer

I have a 2001 150 VMAX that after you run a short distance the overheat buzzer comes on and the rpms shut down to 2000 but the engine does not appear to be hot and the water coming out of pee hole is cold what could cause this

plugged cooling passages, bad thermostats, bad temp switch
    Tell tail does not represent anything but the water pump is pumping water up to the power head.

Comment

Are you saying that it is the over temp buzzer because the over temperature icon is flashing or a temperature light is illuminated?

Comment

No I do not have lights, but the oil system checks out ok, and when it goes off you have to wait 10-15 minutes before it will go off.

Comment

if the gauges are not indicating what is happening, then you need to fix that so you know what is happening

Comment

I tested the thermo switch assy's per the repair manual and one of them is going off at 175 degrees instead of the 183-194 book shows the other one goes off at 186

Comment

How do we know this alarm is not an oil issue?

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                How do we know this alarm is not an oil issue?
                That is what I was wondering.

Comment

the oil pump in the remote tank is working and the oil level in the tank on the engine never gets much below full

Comment

Have you drained it to see if the system alarms and set the indicators?
                    if wiring or devices go bad they can set off alarms without the proper need for then to do it
                    Last edited by 99yam40; 03-31-2017, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rohausvmax View Post
                      the oil pump in the remote tank is working and the oil level in the tank on the engine never gets much below full
                      The oil transfer system may be working just fine. Does not mean that there is not another fault within the oil system that is setting a false alarm.

The over temperature alarm system may be working just fine. Does not mean that there is not a fault within the over temperature warning system that is setting a false alarm.

Both systems may be hunky dory. The alarm could be completely unrelated to either the oil transfer and warning system or the over temperature warning system.

Comment

It not only sounds an alarm it cuts RPMs down also what else could it be. You have to sit for awhile before it will go off

Comment

Do you have gauges?
                          do they tell you when an oil or over temp alarms comes in?
                          are they working properly?

if not fix them so you know what to chase

Comment

I pulled the water pump and checked and the stainless cup the impeller goes in was indexed 1/4 turn off. I notice this motor has a speedo hose on it, my question is since I get my speed from my gps can I eleminate this hose.

Comment

Originally posted by Rohausvmax View Post
                              I pulled the water pump and checked and the stainless cup the impeller goes in was indexed 1/4 turn off. I notice this motor has a speedo hose on it, my question is since I get my speed from my gps can I eleminate this hose.
                              Yes you can.

Never heard of the SS cup rotating... Maybe run dry and the impeller spun it..

**There are two indexing "tabs" that go into the HOUSING (to prevent rotation).

With the rotation, I would probably replace both the SS cup and housing depending on how it looks

Glad you found the issue!!!
                              Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-07-2017, 04:30 PM.
                              Scott
                              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                              X