Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 60 hp cold start issues

Hi all, I am looking for some advice.
    I have a 2002 Yamaha 60hp AET and every time I try and start from cold it takes a good 5 minutes before it starts. Once it's warm the engine is great but from cold it's a total nightmare.
    I have had all carbs professionally cleaned, balanced etc but no difference.
    if anyone could offer some advice it would be much appreciated.
    Cheers

Does the motor have Primestart and if so is the red lever in the "normal" position?....maybe when carbs were cleaned the lever got moved?

Comment

that wire and heater unit only is used to shut the extra fuel off after running and warming up.

when starting cold there are passages that should add extra fuel if the red lever is placed in the normal(auto) position, and then shut off the extra fuel automatically.

turn it to open and it will pump extra fuel to help start, but then you need to turn to off if things are not functioning properly.
      Last edited by 99yam40; 03-27-2017, 09:23 AM.

Comment

may be as simple as turning the red lever to normal.
        who know what is going on without input of the OP

Comment

Many thanks for the reply's
          I am no motor mechanic but I have a basic grasp off things and for the life off me I cannot find this red switch anywhere, can someone give me the heads up please?
          I think I read somewhere it's near no1 carb but ??
          Cheers people, I am in a fairly remote location and have no access to professionals so am on my own with this one.

Comment

now you got me wondering if it is a 2 stroke also

but he would have posted it was a F60 if it was a 4 stroke maybe

maybe we need to ask how many carbs and cylinders this motor has
            Last edited by 99yam40; 03-28-2017, 02:00 PM.

Comment

It is a four stroke, runs like a dream when I get it started from cold n once warm will stop n start all day.

Comment

Originally posted by Fozzymac View Post
                It is a four stroke, runs like a dream when I get it started from cold n once warm will stop n start all day.
                Why didn't you say so in the first place? Why did you tell us it was a two stroke? Many here have now wasted their time.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  now you got me wondering if it is a 2 stroke also

but he would have posted it was a F60 if it was a 4 stroke maybe

maybe we need to ask how many carbs and cylinders this motor has

Comment

The moderator over at a Mercury BBC forum refuses to answer any questions until the complete model identity and/or serial number are provided. Maybe I need to start doing the same.

Folks come here wanting help but apparently can't be bothered typing in an F and maybe three or four other letters. I did not know that typing that much would be so difficult. Apparently so.

Comment

well I have no experience with a F60 carbed motor ,so someone else will have to help

maybe his starting procedure is not correct

Comment

Well now we know that it does not have a red knob on it he can stop looking. Hard to find what ain't there. Nor does it have an integral fuel pump to help force fuel through the PS innards so no need to inspect that.

The four stroke PS works a bit differently. I would first unscrew the device and make sure that it seems to be retracted. This can be determined by applying electrical power and seeing that it extends per design. Then as it cools down the needle valve should retract back to its original position.

If the device itself (needle valve) operates per design then I would next suspect some passageway within the carburetor needs to be flushed.

Comment

Eh never once said it was a 2 stroke, look at my original post!!

Comment

leaving the F off means it is a 2 stroke

Comment

Originally posted by Fozzymac View Post
                              Eh never once said it was a 2 stroke, look at my original post!!
                              Yes you did. Maybe not directly but you did.

Here are snippets from your original post

"Yamaha 60 hp cold start issues"

"I have a 2002 Yamaha 60hp AET"

Now if you had said:

"Yamaha F60 hp cold start issues"

"I have a 2002 Yamaha F60hp AET"

We all would have known that you have a four stroke Yamaha. Look at the data tag on your motor and let us know what you see. I bet it says you have an F60.

Comment

Working...
                              X