Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tach/trim meter to old 2-stroke

Hi!

I have an old yamaha 50hp 2-stroke engine from -88 in my boat and I also have these new fancy meters that I installed a year ago. It's both speed and tach meter and I actually got them to play nicely togeather. This winter I found an old trim/tilt unit that I rebuilt and installed and I finally got everything working exept for the trim meter.

I don't know witch cables to connect. From the meter I have 4 wires, grey, pink, green and green/red but from the trim sender I have black, grey, pink and orange. Does anybody know witch ones goes where?

Sorry about my english, I'm from Finland...

Cheers,
    Fredrik

What is the complete ID for the motor? It will begin with the number 6.

Are you saying that the motor originally did not have a trim and tilt unit and that you added one? If so, where did the unit come from? What model motor?

For reference purposes, early Yamaha models the vintage of yours used a three wire sender. One wire for ground (black), one wire for a five volt input (orange) and one wire for the output (pink). Some here will argue that it is really a potentiometer and not a sender/sensor. Ignore that man behind the green curtain.

The tachometer provides the five volts to the sender. Some Yamaha tachometers have this output and some do not. A photo of what the back of your tachometer (the connectors) looks like would be helpful. The tachometer has to be compatible with the sender/sensor/potentiometer for it all to work correctly.

Your English is just fine. Better than my Finnish.

Last edited by boscoe99; 03-26-2017, 11:22 AM.

Comment

back in the mid eighties Yamaha actually made a 4 wire sender just as described.
      the only one I had the pleasure of dealing with was on a screwball franken motor where the lower and midsection was 87- or so and the powerhead was a 90.
      the 4 wire sender motor originally used an oil control box with a mercury switch to control oil when trimmed.
      the 90 -95 used the 3 wire trim sender for oil control.
      I had to cut in some resistors to fake the ECU to allow the oil transfer.
      if you can find a decent diagram of the 4 wire sender I may be able to assist.

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

I'm having troubble answering your questions since our fellow countrymen are always mixing up parts from all over. You should see a car owned by a finn, meter after meter with wires that end here and there, relays that do nothing and so on. Yack!

So my engine is 6H5 L 384499 and it is a 50DEO -88. The trim/tilt unit however is a mixture from both 50 and 70hp, so when I rebuilt it I had to go back and fourth to my yamaha dealer 6 times to get the correct replacement parts. I have no idea from what year it is either.

I can't figure out how to add pictures here but I found a picture on the net of the same tach/trim meter

As I mentioned in my first post, from the tach/trim meter there is a cable with 4wires in that sais to gauge and to engine and the colors are grey, pink, green and green/red.

From my trim/tilt unit there are 4 wires that are black, grey, pink and orange.and they all go into the sender. This is the sender http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/ya...672-01-00.html
        Last edited by Fredrik_; 03-26-2017, 01:04 PM.

Comment

If the tachometer that you have has but one square ivory coloured nylon connector attached to it then it is not going to work with your sender. That tachometer is designed for 2005 and later model Yamaha outboards. The five volt reference wire (the orange one) is no longer there.

Earlier versions of the tachometer used two square ivory nylon connectors. Plus some individual wires.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
            If the tachometer that you have has but one square ivory coloured nylon connector attached to it then it is not going to work with your sender. That tachometer is designed for 2005 and later model Yamaha outboards. The five volt reference wire (the orange one) is no longer there.

Earlier versions of the tachometer used two square ivory nylon connectors. Plus some individual wires.
            Yes it has the connector, so there is no way to like hotwire the sender to work with the gauge?

Comment

where do you think you will find the 5 volt reference to hot wire to if the tach does not have it?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                where do you think you will find the 5 volt reference to hot wire to if the tach does not have it?
                With the use of a voltageregulator

Comment

I have oft wondered if a five volt reference could be taken from a motor (the CDI/ECU) that has them. Still don't know. In the case of your model motor I don't think there is one.

Would be interesting to hear if what you are proposing to do will work. I think that it just might. Although that tachometer was not intended to be used with a three wire sender it does have a dip switch in the back for a three wire/two wire sender setting. Set it to the three wire position and see what happens.

Do you have plans for the over temperature function on the tachometer to be operable?

Your motor uses premix, correct?

Comment

Yes I have it on the 3 wire position but I still need to figure out what information the 4 wires need goint to the tach. If the sender needs 5v to the orange and I presume the black one is ground then the pink and grey would be up/down signals. But I have no idea where to put those to get the trim meter working, maybe green and green/red? Any ideas?

No I'm not interested in the temperature, I think this old baby will serve me as long as I have her without overheating (I changed the crankseals this winter) and if she overheats I have a great reason to convince my wife that we need a 4 stroker it has the autolube function so it mixes premixes itself.

Comment

again.
                      I have no clue what the gray wire did in that 4 wire sender.
                      the US market only had the 4 wire sender motors for about 2 years.
                      those 2 years I was on gray boats not play boats.
                      I don't worry much about a trim guage.
                      I simply watch the tach and look over my shoulder.

Comment

Originally posted by Fredrik_ View Post
                        Yes I have it on the 3 wire position but I still need to figure out what information the 4 wires need goint to the tach. If the sender needs 5v to the orange and I presume the black one is ground then the pink and grey would be up/down signals. But I have no idea where to put those to get the trim meter working, maybe green and green/red? Any ideas?

No I'm not interested in the temperature, I think this old baby will serve me as long as I have her without overheating (I changed the crankseals this winter) and if she overheats I have a great reason to convince my wife that we need a 4 stroker it has the autolube function so it mixes premixes itself.
                        See illustration below. See for yourself by powering the tachometer up. Then ground the pink wire. See what happens. Then ground the gray wire. See what happens. Then ground the green/red wire. See what happens.

It would not take a tremendous amount of effort to get the warning functions to be operable.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                          See illustration below. See for yourself by powering the tachometer up. Then ground the pink wire. See what happens. Then ground the gray wire. See what happens. Then ground the green/red wire. See what happens.

It would not take a tremendous amount of effort to get the warning functions to be operable.

Thanks! Gonna try it today and see what happens

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                            again.
                            I have no clue what the gray wire did in that 4 wire sender.
                            the US market only had the 4 wire sender motors for about 2 years.
                            those 2 years I was on gray boats not play boats.
                            I don't worry much about a trim guage.
                            I simply watch the tach and look over my shoulder.
                            6E5-83672-01-00 YAMAHA TRIM SENDER I have the same sender as in the link and it seems that it was used 1984-1991. But I'm soon about to give up on getting it working, like you said I don't think it is really that necessary but while the feature is built in the tach I figured I'd give it a try.

Comment

like I said.
                              the US market only used the 4 wire for about 2 yrs.
                              I don't know if I have a SM that covers the atiques anymore.
                              in the time frame that the US market had 4 wire senders I was working for the US canoe club and everything was painted haze gray.
                              the green and green red are for oil level and alarm indicates.
                              grond the tach oil green,not the green tach send.
                              when the oil green is grounded the right side indicate is solid.
                              remove the ground and the center bar blinks.
                              ground the tach g/r and the far left bar blinks.
                              the tach gray lead,if applicable, is overtemp indicate.

Comment

Working...
                              X