Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
    sounds like you need a bigger boat.
    brother had a 16' deep and wide flat bottom with a 25 and it ran well. more surface area to help get up on plane and you could haul a lot of stuff in it. he pulled his wife and kids no problem
    I agree with 99yam40, you probably need a bigger boat. Like you said it will do 30 mph with just you in it, but with a full load it is pretty much maxed out. Yes putting a 30 hp on the back probably will help some..but a 16 foot with a 30-40 hp would suite your needs much better.

As for hanging a 40 hp on a 14' foot aluminum boat, loaded with four people and a bunch of gear.....IMO would not be a wise decision. Too much motor for to little boat.

Comment

Thanks again guys, i totally get what you're saying. Jason, thanks for the great info with regards to moving the weight and using a jack plate. I use this boat for salmon river fishing too where it's just myself and a buddy. I won't take my 2 kids, dog, wife, myself and gear camping in this boat, it's too small. You guys are right, down the road i might need to buyer a bigger boat. I think you guys talked me out of pursuing this motor. I'll watch it and if it drops down quite a bit in price, i'll go and take a look and ask for a water test. If none of that happens, i'll keep my boat with the 25hp, and be happy for now. You guys have given me great advice, much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa
        No such thing as too much motor for a boat. Only too much motor for the boat operator
        Don't know about that ^^..

WOT, 6K RPM with my F150 on a 20'4" CC Angler runs about 46 MPH, it's pretty much white knuckle and you best be hanging on..

Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

My 20ft is a little squirrelly too at WOT. I still wish the original buyer had gotten the F200 for the giddy up and go. Hopefully I could run at a lower rpm with a full load too. Guessing fuel economy at comparable speeds would be close.

Can't complain much about the F150...

Comment

makes it hard to drink anything when moving that fast on the water

Comment

Working...
            X