Yamaha Fuel Level Indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha Fuel Level Indicator

Need some help. After winter storage of my 2002 247 GradyWhite with twin 150 HPDIs I am having a fuel level indicator issue. Even though I filled up with fuel before storage my indicator is flashing like I am running on reserve. I have the Yamaha fuel management system digital gauges with the new type of fuel sensor in the tank. How does one reset this thing. Been out in 4 to 5 foot seas hoping to break it loose but no luck. HELP

Sorry got error when posting and thought my topic was not posting.

Comment

The Yamaha FMS sensor is outside the fuel tank, near the Racor filters at the transom. The fuel quantity sending units are entirely different pieces, inside the fuel tanks on the Grady. Notorious for failing. Either the sending units themselves or the wiring up to the gauge needs to be inspected. If you pull the small round deck access covers off (centerline on the boat deck...), you will see the senders in the top of each tank. Turn the ignition key ON and select a tank then short the two wires at the sender of that tank together and see if the fuel quantity on the gauge goes to the FULL mark. If the gauge goes to full then the sender is bad and needs to be replaced. If the gauge does not go to FULL then there is a problem in the wiring up to the gauge that needs to be corrected. Look for obvious corrosion on the contacts on top of the senders as well.
      If you need to replace the senders I would suggest going with the upgrade Centroid electronic senders, and you won't have anymore problems. Good luck.

Mike....... Miami, FL

Comment

Thanks Mike will give that a try this weekend and let you know how it goes. BTW if I change to a Centroid Electronic Sender do you happen to know if I will have to change anything else up to the display ?

Comment

No, no other changes needed. You will have to run a yellow tinned 16awg wire( switchable HOT 12v power source...) from the console to the sender to power the Centroid but that's easy. The Centroid will need to have a simple calibration routine run to match the sender depth with Yamaha digital gauge. They provide the needed instructions, no big deal.

Mike

Comment

Working...
          X