225HP wont start, guages dead, trim dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 225HP wont start, guages dead, trim dead

Have a 2003 225HP Yamaha just coming out of hibernation from the winter, end of the season i had intermittent trouble with the engine not cranking over, it just clicked, after several attempts it would go?

Ive connected the battery up, checked all terminals, theirs power being sent to the engine, all lights, depth gauge, bilges work etc but now no gauges, no trim and nothing to suggest it will crank... ive checked all the obvious fuses, these are all OK? the battery was new 2 years ago and had a full top up charge before it was fitted this year, could it be the actually isolation switch? is there any other fuses in that engine apart from the obvious that could have blown?

Any help appreciated.

Check the fuses again. And the connections within the fuse holder.

Is this a 225 two stroke or an F225 four stroke.

Provide the complete model please and not just the HP rating. Help us help you.

Thanks.

Comment

Sorry, it's a F225 4 stroke..

F225TXRB

Serial: 69J X 1004250

I have checked the fuses several times just completely dead but does read 12v to the positive terminal.

Comment

Electrical power comes from the battery, to the motor, to the ten pin connector and on up the ten pin harness to the key switch. Via a red wire. From the key switch power goes back to the motor via a yellow wire. Across the ten pin connector and to the motor.

From what you are describing electrical power is not getting to the key switch. Starting at the battery recheck all connectors. Don't forget to check the ground connections. They are important as the power connections. Check the ten pin connectors. See illustration below. Components highlighted in yellow are the positive electrical connections.

Comment

Most helpful! I'll check over it all again and report back!

Comment

Originally posted by ollieamb View Post
            Have a 2003 225HP Yamaha just coming out of hibernation from the winter, end of the season i had intermittent trouble with the engine not cranking over, it just clicked, after several attempts it would go?
            The above bolded, (IF the battery is good, cables, connections clean and tight) point towards a faulty starter relay. The relay, if bad, would click ONCE with EACH turn of the key. Multiple clicks, holding the key to crank sounds like a bad battery(just like your car)..

Check to see if you have 12.8 volts (or so) at the starter relay with the key ON(engine off). If nothing happens, jump the relay to crank the engine. If it NOW cranks, the starter relay is toast..

Then crank over and check voltage while cranking. See how much it drops.

The T&T should work no matter what the key switch is at or the relay (even if it failed) pointing towards the battery again...

If voltage drops considerably, get the battery load tested to rule it out-basic's first...
            Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 03-22-2017, 07:23 PM.
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Hi guys, right ive rectified the power to the engine / trim issue, there was a fried fuse after all (double checked in good light) but still clicking when turning the ignition on..

Ive decided to take the starter off to bench test it and clean up the engine etc... the starter spins but doesn't pop out? if this is the solenoid causing this can this be replaced or is it part of the starter unit?

Comment

Here's the parts fisch for the starter:

2003 F225TXRB Yamaha Outboard STARTING MOTOR Diagram and Parts

You can see what makes the gear pop out, etc(what to expect). *Part #21, 22 actually pushes the starter gear out. You'll also see the starter motor (same unit) has the "relay" inside..

Depending on your bench test, you may want to pull it apart, clean, check brushes, etc. They do wear out, get crapped up inside, etc but usually can be repaired... (short of being rusted out)
                Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 03-25-2017, 07:39 AM.
                Scott

Comment

Voltage/current issues?

Comment

I'm lost now, taken the starter to a marine spe******t and hey confirm the starter is in good working order?

Back to checking every damn cable i suppose!

Comment

Originally posted by ollieamb View Post
                      I'm lost now, taken the starter to a marine spe******t and hey confirm the starter is in good working order?

Back to checking every damn cable i suppose!
                      Grounds too.

Just don't look, remove, clean and reinstall.
                      Scott

Comment

testing things will help

here is an ongoing thread that has some testing info you might want to see

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...y-th28107.html

Comment

I've taken a few more bits apart and found another relay which is where the clicking is from, maybe it's this as the starter doesn't do anything attached

68V-8194A-00-00 RELAY

Believe me I've cleaned it the engine is mint internally

Comment

Where are the batteries located in that boat?

Comment

if you have good voltage to the relay, but it does not leave the relay to the starter when energized then I would say that was the problem

Comment

Working...
                              X