50W and 50TLRB the same?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50W and 50TLRB the same?

My son has this engine and needs a shop manual. Seeing a couple on ebay that are called 40W & 50W. His motor is 2003 50TLRB. Are these the same engine? Correct part number is LIT-18616-01-81.
    1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
    1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

I am guessing the correct part # is the one for the motor your son has,

what is the part numbers of the ones you are looking at?

Comment

50TLRB is a 2003 model year motor.

A 40W/50W is a 1998 model year motor.

Both models use the same SM. LIT-18616-01-81. According to Yamaha anyway.

https://www.yamahapubs.com/results.p...50TLRB&lang=en

https://www.yamahapubs.com/results.p...40ELRW&lang=en
      Last edited by boscoe99; 03-20-2017, 08:48 AM.

Comment

no they do not use the same.
        the 98 W model had a really really rube **** berg carb setup that the 03 did not use.
        the fuel system is completely different.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
          no they do not use the same.
          the 98 W model had a really really rube **** berg carb setup that the 03 did not use.
          the fuel system is completely different.
          Well then, what are the correct SM's for the two models in question?

Will you be making a report to Yamaha that their data is incorrect? I suspect that they will jump right on making the necessary corrections.

Or have you already informed them? If so, what did they say?

Comment

More confusion on my part. The Yamaha parts catalog indicates that the 50TLRB and the 50W models use the exact same part number carburetors. Is this also incorrect information?

If so, have you informed Yamaha? Why have they not fixed their data? Maybe you need to contact them again.

Comment

I double checked the Yamaha web site that is the correct part number for the manual for 2003 model. I bet there are various additions and the latest may have the latest carb design. Since the fuel system is the biggest maintenance item, I'm going to get the correct manual. The owners manual for this engine is calling it a B series not a W series.

Comment

Originally posted by Tucker View Post
                I double checked the Yamaha web site that is the correct part number for the manual for 2003 model. I bet there are various additions and the latest may have the latest carb design. Since the fuel system is the biggest maintenance item, I'm going to get the correct manual. The owners manual for this engine is calling it a B series not a W series.
                Stands to reason. A 50TLRB uses a B owner's manual. B denotes the model year.

Now what appears to have happened is that Yamaha decided not to issue a new 50B service manual. Instead they are saying to use the W service manual for the B engine. Makes sense if there are no configuration changes. That is, if the models are one and the same.

Which rodbolt says they are not, but Yamaha seems to think they are. I don't know.

Comment

Been looking for a used manual for a week and no dice. Ordered a new one for $65 clams plus $9.00 shipping, (Grrrrr). Yea, as for those young folks that get the manual downloaded to their phones for next to nothing...I envy you. I need a hard copy in front of me

Comment

desk mokanics should not argue with field techs.
                    the 98 F50 used completely different carbs,chokes,accelerator pump and dashpot assy than the 03 F50.
                    about the only two things they had in common was they were on a Yamaha and they metered fuel.
                    even the way you sync them with the techmate is different.

I actually did both types in the past 3 weeks.
                    yesterday I got to do an F100 set.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                      desk mokanics should not argue with field techs.
                      the 98 F50 used completely different carbs,chokes,accelerator pump and dashpot assy than the 03 F50.
                      about the only two things they had in common was they were on a Yamaha and they metered fuel.
                      even the way you sync them with the techmate is different.

I actually did both types in the past 3 weeks.
                      yesterday I got to do an F100 set.
                      We are not talking F50's here. We are talking 50's. As in two strokes. Not four strokes.

But if you say a two stroke 1998 50W uses a different carburetor compared to a two stroke 2003 50B then I would believe you over the Yamaha parts catalog and Yamaha service manual. I have that little faith is Yamaha data.

This desk mokanik thinks you have been reading about four strokes for so long being referred to as two strokes (leaving the F designator off) that you may be convinced the OP has four strokes. Now for all that I know, he just might.
                      Last edited by boscoe99; 04-01-2017, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Well the average home-boy here got the latest manual and paid $75 delivered. There are many manuals on ebay for the W models real cheap. If the fuel system is the only thing different, it's worth spending the extra money. Fuel system maintenance is real important to me

Comment

Big difference between two stroke carburetors and four stroke carburetors.

There can be big differences between some two stroke carburetors and some four stroke carburetors.

Yamaha seems to have never been able to decide which type to use. Apparently they were openly embracing carburetor diversity. I hear that is supposed to be a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                          X