Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NMEA wiring for 2008 F225 fuel flow gauge

My first time using this site.

I recently purchased a 2008 F225 with 200 hours from a friend who wanted more power. I love it.

With the engine I received a round Yamaha speedo with fuel flow info, a fuel flow sender to go in the fuel line and the wiring harness that goes between the gauge and the sender. The gauge will replace my old round gauge that had no fuel flow info.

I think I have it figured out except for what appears to be a NMEA0183 pigtail to receive GPS info. I what to connect it to my Lowrance HDS8-gen2. The pigtail from the gauge has 4 small wires (Red, Black, White and a bare shield wire.)

Can any one tell me what the colour codes represent for the 4 wires in the pig tail? I think the Yamaha part # for the pigtail is 6Y5-85721-F0 but I'm sure about that. Better yet, if someone has full install institutions for this system that would be a huge help :-)

Thanks

Comment

MR.Bosco

I attached the NMEA 0183 wires from my Lowrance HDS8 gen 2 to the Yamaha Speed Fuel Flow Gauge based on your instructions from March 18. It didn't work as the speed info is still coming from the water pilot tube sender on the transom.

I can triple check my wire connections but I wonder if I have to program the gauge to make it work with the GPS? Can you please provide a copy of the installation and operating instructions that originally came with this gauge #6Y8-83500-11-00 and perhaps also the same publications for the matching tachometer?

Thanks

Doug Holland

match tachometer.

Comment

Does the gauge allow you to select either GPS or the pitot tube? If so, select GPS. If not, disconnect the pitot tube and the gauge should default to the GPS.

I am not familiar with your GPS. It might want you to select the particular NMEA 0183 output that you have chosen.

Last edited by boscoe99; 08-06-2017, 07:08 AM.

Comment

1. The 6Y5-85721-F0 gauge pigtail contain white, red, blank and shield wires. As per my interpretation of you earlier diagram, I attached white pigtail wire to yellow Lowrance and pigtail shield wire to the pigtail Lowrance shield. The pigtail red and black are not connected to anything. Is that what you intended?

2. As you have suggested, I also think I need to somehow select GPS input on the gauge but I can't figure out how to do that. There is a GPS symbol that displays briefly when the gauge is powered up doesn't stay on. I don't have operating instructions for the gauge so that's where I am hoping you could help me out. Such instructions would also help me to program other aspects of the gauge and see if all DIP switched are correctly set.

Page 38 of the 2008 F225 Owners manual shows the gauge and refers to it as a "Speed & Fuel Meter Unit" but provides little info. It simply says: "The speed & fuel meter unit shows various kinds of information according to the setting made with the set and mode buttons. For details see the attached operation manual."

The only operation manual I can find on the web is for the round Command Link gauge which are likely newer and definitely more sophisticated. The "set" and "mode" button commands explained in it don't work on my gauge.

Comment

NMEA wiring for 2008 F225 fuel flow guage

Mr. Boscoe
            Just following up on the message above I posted to you a week ago as I didn't see a response.

1. Did I do the wiring the way right way according to your instructions?
            2. I have learned from an old brochure that came with my F225 that the actual part number for my speedometer/fuel management gauge is #6Y5-W0088-70-00. Can you help me find owners operating instructions for it so I can program to select gps input for speed rather than water speed?

Thanks for you help. I'm sure you are very busy.

Doug Holland

Comment

Working...
            X