50hp Yamaha No ID Plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50hp Yamaha No ID Plate

Is there a way to tell model yr from serial #? Bro has a 50hp and plate with model # is missing, but serial # plate is on unit. We're guessing somewhere between 86-92. Pulled parts diagrams up and 84 and 85 models aren't showing tilt/trim, so we assumed it was later. He's having trouble with tilt/trim unit and needing model # to order parts. Thanks!

I thought the model and serial were on the same sticker.

Post serial #, bosco may be able to help.
    is the sticker on other mount still there with the date of manufacture?

Comment

They are. Only if the label is torn could the model and the serial number not be visible.

If the serial is known I can usually get to the model. If only the model is known it is tough to get to the serial.

This is what you are looking for. It is on the left hand clamp bracket.

Comment

Thanks guys....soon as he gets in from work I'll have him text me pic of tag on motor mount and I'll post on here.

Comment

If the data plate is not on the motor have him look on the block, usually in the vicinity of the starter motor, for a round decal that has some numbers on it. What are those numbers?

Comment

Here's what he's got:

50 DETO
            6H5
            serial # L412046

Says this part number is on the block: 6 h 400

He's looking for the round decal now.

EDIT: says # on round decal is 412046
            Last edited by crappiedude1961; 03-17-2017, 05:52 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

Anyone have any idea of model based on numbers given in last post? I read that Yamaha made 2 different types of tilt/trim units. One was tilt only and the other was tilt and trim.

Comment

I am sure Boscoe can come up with year,
                but a DETO us not something that was sold in the US of A.
                where is this motor located

Comment

Best that I can come up with is that 6H5L 412247 is the first 1985 model year 50DETO model by serial number.

OP's model therefore is more than likely a 1984 model year motor, since it is several hundred units ahead of the first 1985 model motor.

The 50DETO was not offered in the USA. We were provided a 50ETSN or a 50ETLN. Both have power tilt only. According to the parts book anyway.

1984 50ETLN Yamaha Outboard Parts

1984 50ETSN Yamaha Outboard Parts

If the tilt unit on the 50DETO looks similar to the unit used on the 50ETSN and 50ELSN then it would seem to indicate that the OP's model has tilt only. No trim.

Now what is confusing is that in 1986 Yamaha USA started calling the tilt assembly a trim/tilt assembly. Seems to be one and the same component.

What are you trying to do? Have both trim and tilt capability?

Comment

My bet is he cannot trim up under power.

But he could have leaks

Comment

Thanks guys! This motor belongs to my bro so I have limited info. Just trying to answer some of his questions. He's had the motor for some time now. Not sure where it came from, but it's in KY right now. He says it's never been able to trim when in the water going down the lake. Apparently he can trim only when boat isn't moving (no pressure)...after hearing about the tilt only models I"m guessing that's what he has. Sitting in his garage he can put pressure on motor with his foot and the tilt/trim will pop like it's slipping a gear but won't move.

So if I'm understanding correctly, this is a 1984 model from outside the US? Is there a USA model # he can use to order parts? I know with Johnson/Evinrude there are certain model yrs that parts are interchangeable. He was thinking of rebuilding tilt/trim unit to see if that helped, but now I'm thinking its a tilt only unit.

Again...thanks guys!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X