Spark Plugs question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark Plugs question

I am thinking about what spring maintenance I need to do on the twin F115TXRB's. I did the oil/filer and gas filter in the fall. This spring I was planing to check the engine anodes, change the t-stats and spark plugs.

Over the years I started to use Iridium plugs for my cars and motorcycles and thinking about doing the same on the boat. Any downside besides price to Iridiums?

Spark plug manufactures say that iridium plugs can under perform on some engines.

Comment

Originally posted by scofflaw View Post
      Spark plug manufactures say that iridium plugs can under perform on some engines.
      Which plug manufacturers? Have you got a link to where this can be read about? I gots to know more.

NGK touts the iridium plug as offering great performance.

https://www.ngksparkplugs.com/produc...ugs/iridium-ix

Comment

Records for that 2000 GM 5.3 are at my residence in Ma. Won't be there for a while. Want to say it was AC Delco but not 100%. Had that discussion with them last November. I can honestly say that after running the iridiums for 4 years, I noticed no performance diff. switching to the double platinum.

Comment

I am guessing that some plug maker, who does not offer an iridium plug, is the one that might be saying they offer reduced performance. Makes sense.

Comment

About 15 years ago I bought a $15 Harbor Freight spark plug Sandblaster and I never buy new plugs...just blast'em nice and white, check gap and re-install. Works great for mowers, blower, string trimmers, car plugs, and especially 2 stroke outboard plugs that get some carbon on them. The only plugs I see actually wearing out might be an automotive/100,000 mile type....the rest just need cleaning....except for the very rare cracked/fouled center insulator...

Comment

One of my buddys is using NGK iridium spark plugs on his 2007 F150 and no diference at all.
              They are supposed to last more time
              Automotive manufacturers are using more often iridium spark plugs because maintenance intervales are increasing (IMO)

Comment

Is that a Yamaha F150 or a Ford.

with the problems Fords had with getting the plugs out at 100K miles, I would hate to leave them in much longer

Comment

Hi Yam!

I'm talking about the OB Yamaha F150

We dont have the Ford F150 around here.

Price of gas in EU does not allow to have such a "big engines" for most of us.

Comment

I thought so, but you talked about atomotive so was not sure.
                    The fordF150 PU can be had with the V6 with turbo, but the mileage is not good enough for gas prices over there.
                    My 2014 F150 has the 5L V8.
                    I can get 21-22 MPG on the highway
                    the V6s do not get much better

Mileage would be better is we did not have to run the e fuels

Comment

I changed the plugs on the wife's Ford 2007 Escape at about 120,000 miles. Son of a bitch getting to the rear three. Thought I might have trouble getting them out but no problemo. When I looked at the condition of them I thought "why did I waste my time?" No change in how the car ran with the old or the new plugs.

The youngsters today don't know how good we have it. My 1965 Ford Falcon (plain jane, white, four door, straight six, vinyl bench seats, no radio, but I loved that car) would eat up a set of points and plugs in slightly less than 3000 miles. But the access on that motor was wonderful. About a ten minute job to replace the lot. Circa 1975 and five quarts of oil and a filter was less than $2.50. If I could come up with the $2.50.

My 2005 Ford F150 V8 is coming up on 85,000 miles now. Do I change the plugs or leave them the hell alone? I am thinking of imposing the "if it ain't broke don't fix it mantra". Transmission is acting a bit funny. Think I will change its oil and filter first to see if that could be what it is.

Comment

V6, V8? are we talking a lorry truck?

V6 or V8 are are not common in EU, just the top models cars have them as MB; BMW, Audi etc etc

I belive most gasoline cars in EU use engines between 1000 and 1400cc while diesel cars use engines between 1600 and 2000cc

I had a Mitsubishi L200 Strakar 2.5L and that thing was a guzzler with a little less fuel consumption than your F150

My Ford Mondeo diesel 2.0L does a nice fuel consumption of 50MPG and my Focus 1.8L diesel more or less the same depending how heavy is my foot.

I like the Ford F150 but not the fuel consumption as like more my Yamaha F100 but I like even more the fuel consumption of my F40 so I use it more often.

Lucky you guys with that prices on gas.

Comment

What is a lorry?
                          Box truck hauler maybe?
                          My 2014 5.L V8 has 360 HP I think and will drink fuel if you put your foot into it or pull a trailer

I remember paying 18 cents a gallon back in 1971.
                          could fill the tank on my 64 Gallaxie 500 and get change back from a $5 bill.
                          man we ran a bunch of back roads back then just looking around and enjoying cold ones

Boscoe which V8 you have in your PU?
                          My youngest son is playing with a 06 5.4L triton and is looking for normal live data scaner readings at idle.
                          I have not found much info listed on line yet
                          Last edited by 99yam40; 03-12-2017, 07:51 PM.

Comment

I have the 5.4L Triton.

I remember when gas was 29.9 and they would come out and fill the tank for you. Or, just put in a dollars worth if that was all that I had. Maybe give me some S&H Green stamps or a free glass for being a customer.

Oh, got the oil checked, tire pressure checked and the windshield cleaned as part of the deal. A gal that I knew would thrill the gas station attendant by showing him a bit of the old beaver while he cleaned the glass. He would take his time making sure that every dirt speck on the windshield was thoroughly removed.

Comment

Biscoe is straying off course again......

Hairy beaver back in those days for sure

Comment

Working...
                              X