"98 two stroke 115 hp excess smoke at idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "98 two stroke 115 hp excess smoke at idle

1998 two stroke 115 hp runs perfect except I'm noticing smoke at 900 to 1200 rpm. At 700 idle and above 1300 it seems to go completely away. It is not fouling plugs and does not seem to be using excess oil.
    Should this be a concern? Did a search on here but did not find much.
    Appreciate it!

Check the oil control link rod. They are prone to becoming loose in which case the pump will default to the maximum oil mode.

Using a non-Yamaha brand of oil, such as Pennzoil 100% synthetic, will mitigate smoking compared to the use of Yamalube.

Comment

check the dictionary for the word "mitigate".
      I se the XD-100 in both my etec and my 9.9 jonnyrude.
      almost no smoke in the 9.9 and it tolerates sitting in the fuel bowl better.

Comment

make less severe, serious, or painful.
        "he wanted to mitigate misery in the world"
        synonyms:alleviate, reduce, diminish, lessen, weaken, lighten, attenuate, take the edge off, allay, ease, assuage, palliate, relieve, tone down "the worst symptoms have been mitigated"

Comment

I was wondering why Jason thought he was in disagreement with me while I was thinking that we were in agreement.

Said another way, IMO Pennzoil 100% synthetic two stroke TC-W3 oil smokes less than Yamalube. Leaves less carbon behind.

Comment

Took a good look under the hood and it looks nice and clean, no oil laying anywhere. Not a lot of hours on this motor, pretty much sat around till we found her, runs so well I'm kind of afraid to do much messing. Bought her from first owner six**** years old with 212 hours.
            Going to try that XD 100 and see if that helps, or as Rodbolt says "mitigate".
            Smart guy, that Rodbolt!
            Thanks, everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
              Check the oil control link rod. They are prone to becoming loose in which case the pump will default to the maximum oil mode.

Using a non-Yamaha brand of oil, such as Pennzoil 100% synthetic, will mitigate smoking compared to the use of Yamalube.
              Turned out you are correct, plastic threaded thingamagigy was split and a replacement is enroute.
              Thanks all.

Comment

Thanks for the feed back. Glad you found and fixed the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                  check the dictionary for the word "mitigate".
                  I se the XD-100 in both my etec and my 9.9 jonnyrude.
                  almost no smoke in the 9.9 and it tolerates sitting in the fuel bowl better.
                  This got me to thinking about an event that happened about four decades ago.

Friend of mine was taking flying lessons at Wheeler AFB. He landed and the control tower told him to "expedite" clearing the runway. He stopped the airplane on the runway. He called the tower and asked "what does expedite mean"?

They told him to "get the hell off of the runway". Or was it "get the hell off the runway"? We had a good chuckle at my friends expense. Military con*****ers could and would cuss over the air waves.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa
                    Great call boscoe..When you initially replied with the above, I remember thinking that if the oil control rod had failed the engine would smoke continuously, not just bwtn 900-1200 rpms as the OP indicated, because oil would continue to build up in the cylinders with the excess of oil.

So if you could school me, yet again, why the smoke only when idling in gear (900-1200)?
                    The nylon end was split but still hanging on some. Also possible it was harder to see when underway?

Comment

WOT running needs more oil,
                      idle/low RPMs needs less.
                      if rod is not shutting the oil down properly at low RPM then you have excess oil/smoke

Comment

Working...
                      X