Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OX-66 No Start, long storage

Grady 28 Marlin With twin 250 OX-66's.

For the past 4 years, the boat and its 1999 Ox66 has sat on blocks. Now, I have issues. No conventional start.

1 - Will start on oil and gas direct sprayed into head
    2 - Fuel injectors were sent to injector-rehab.com and came back cleaned and tested, all at factory spec.
    3 -I got 93 octane in a 6 gallon tank and with external electric fuel pump attached everywhere. Meaning - before primer pumps, then first filter, then before low pressure pumps (which were tested fine), then direct to canister.
    4. Removed and cleaned VST

Essentially, I have new gas bypassing the trouble areas and she wont start. But will fire on a spray bottle.

Is the high pressure fuel pump the final straw. Is there something in the canister that could be restricting fuel flow for a start. Am i a complete idiot - don't answer that one

Much Appreciated

Pat

For starters I wouldn't use 93 octane, it takes a high compression engine to effectively ignite and completely burn. And yes there are basket filters in the high pressure pump.

Comment

Ugh

Do you think that is a possible reason for a complete no start, not even a turn your head and cough

Pat

Comment

When it's NOT getting any fuel (which yours obviously isn't), it won't start/cough, etc...

I'd remove all those pumps and test the HP pump as that seems to be the only thing you haven't tested and if it failed/isn't powering up, the engine won't run...
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

ditch the 93 octane.
          fix the fuel system.
          replace the water pump.
          go play.

water pumps,like electric fuel pumps, fail by simply sitting.

no sense in replacing an expensive fuel pump to simply overheat the motor and turning it into a parts donor.

at key on do you hear the VST pump run?

Comment

What are you calling the canister?
            when you cleaned the VST did you clean the screen to the pump ?

Monitor fuel pressures to see what they tell you.

Test the injectors to see if they are firing if you have pressure on the rails

Comment

and now your gonna want a quick test to see if an injector fires.
              there is.

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoiha View Post
                For starters I wouldn't use 93 octane, it takes a high compression engine to effectively ignite and completely burn.
                Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                ditch the 93 octane.
                are you guys saying that 93 octane, in an engine which does not require it,
                will make it detectably "harder to start" ?

Comment

it will run on 93.
                  it wont run at peak performance.
                  93 octane burns to slow at 5500 RPM in a relatively low compression engine.
                  that and it is a waste of money.

Comment

Thanks to everyone

Had no idea about the 93 octane. Only bought 6 gallons.

I dont hear any pump noise at key on. If the high pressure fail by sitting, then clearly thats the last oint of failure. I hooked up a car fuel pump to the six gallon tank and tried to "force" fuel into the hp pump. We do crazy things when at wits end.

It seems the challenge now is paying for two new fuel pumps.

Any advice on OEM vs aftermarket.

Pat

Comment

Lastly

I had injector rehab in New Jersey test and clean the injectors, all are operating at factor standard after cleaning, that is

Comment

I ain't buying the 93 octane innerweb rumors.

I have run three different Yams (F70, F150, F200) first using gasoline with 87 octane and then using gasoline with 93 octane.

Same starting and idling characteristics. Same WOT RPM achieved with same top end boat speed. Same exhaust gas temperature readings. Same air/fuel ratios.

Octane has nothing whatsoever to do with burn rates or temperatures. In fact, some gasoline with a higher octane can burn faster than some gasoline with a lower octane. Think of high octane in a high compression ratio motor turning upwards of 10,000 RPM. There is less time for the gasoline to burn. It actually has to burn faster.

All of the engine makers say to use gasoline with X octane rating or higher.

Octane is a measure of one thing and one thing only. The ability of gasoline to resist auto ignition at high temperatures.

But once crap is on the innerweb it is on the innerweb. Hard to change folks minds of their incorrect beliefs.

Comment

Originally posted by Loral123 View Post
                          Had no idea about the 93 octane. Only bought 6 gallons.

I dont hear any pump noise at key on. If the high pressure fail by sitting, then clearly thats the last oint of failure. I hooked up a car fuel pump to the six gallon tank and tried to "force" fuel into the hp pump. We do crazy things when at wits end.

It seems the challenge now is paying for two new fuel pumps.

Any advice on OEM vs aftermarket.

Pat
                          There's your problem. Particularly if a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail is not indicating any fuel pressure.

Comment

pull the pumps and see if you can clean and free them up.

Boscoe have you ran 93 in a low compression 2 stroke motor to compare to 87?

I believe most F motors are high compression, even the 4 stroke weed eaters and leaf blowers

heck I heard about the speed of burn /octane thing way back before there was a web.
                            Last edited by 99yam40; 03-14-2017, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                              I ain't buying the 93 octane innerweb rumors.

I have run three different Yams (F70, F150, F200) first using gasoline with 87 octane and then using gasoline with 93 octane.

Same starting and idling characteristics. Same WOT RPM achieved with same top end boat speed. Same exhaust gas temperature readings. Same air/fuel ratios.

Octane has nothing whatsoever to do with burn rates or temperatures. In fact, some gasoline with a higher octane can burn faster than some gasoline with a lower octane. Think of high octane in a high compression ratio motor turning upwards of 10,000 RPM. There is less time for the gasoline to burn. It actually has to burn faster.

All of the engine makers say to use gasoline with X octane rating or higher.

Octane is a measure of one thing and one thing only. The ability of gasoline to resist auto ignition at high temperatures.

But once crap is on the innerweb it is on the innerweb. Hard to change folks minds of their incorrect beliefs.
                              That info has been around before the web was even invented.
                              How did you monitor exhaust gas temp?
                              Makes sense that if the engine didn't have the compression to burn it all it would leave carbon behind

Comment

Working...
                              X