Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stuck powerhead on 91 225 txrp

hello all,
    new member here. I am trying to remove the power head off my 225 txrp to get to the upper tiller mount bolts. I have 6 bolts on the sides removed, two from the rear and for the front I can only see two threaded studs that go into the power head. question is, am I missing any fasteners and if not, what is the best way to remove the powerhead? 4 of the 6 side bolts broke off at the head, and not sure if I need to drill those out somehow prior to pulling the head, or just take care of them once the heads off. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Here's one of the parts fisch for your engine (should you not have a shop manual):

1991 225TXRP Yamaha Outboard UPPER CASING Diagram and Parts

You may have to click on different assemblies to find all the bolts..

I don't think you have to remove you heads to R&R broken engine to mid section bolts.

Once the power head is off, you may have some stud sticking out you can work with...
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Usually the corrosion that caused those bolts to break off will be binding up and hampering the power head from coming off

Comment

hahahahahaahaah

nope
        in Yamha's infinite wisdom they tapered the holes.

you will never in a million years pull that broken stud through the hole.

now you can carefully mark the stud.

going just below the powerhead drill the bolt from a horizontal plane and cut the broken bolt.

use a BULLIT point style bit in 3/8ths.

did I mention BULLIT POINT???????

used to do it on a weekly basis.

gotta love saltwater and aluminium.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
          hahahahahaahaah

nope
          in Yamha's infinite wisdom they tapered the holes.

you will never in a million years pull that broken stud through the hole.

now you can carefully mark the stud.

going just below the powerhead drill the bolt from a horizontal plane and cut the broken bolt.

use a BULLIT point style bit in 3/8ths.

did I mention BULLIT POINT???????

used to do it on a weekly basis.

gotta love saltwater and aluminium.
          Drill from the side? Can the
          OP send some pics of how this proceeds?

Comment

adjust the tilt so the bolts are in a vertical plane.
            point straight down.

now take a marker and a straight edge and mark a line all the way from the bottom to the powerhead following the bolt.

now take a 3/8ths bullet point bit and drop down about 1/2" and hold the drill bit in a horizontal plane and drill the bolt in half.

the bullet points don't walk and they cut flatter.
            the bolt is about 5/16ths and the bit cuts a hole at 3/8ths.

thus cutting the bolt in half and allowing the powerhead to come off.

you can fill the hole or not when your done.

Comment

thanks guys

thanks guys, I will try the bolt drilling trick and post back the results here, thanks again!

Comment

drill carefully, you don't want to drill past the bolt and into the powerhead adapter.

Comment

drilled the bolts, not pretty, but successful in drilling. only went deep enough to cut bolt. still cant get the powerhead off, even tried a 4 ton hydraulic "splitter" on the aft end, didn't budge. soaking the drilled holes in pb blaster and the mating surface for a few days to see if it helps.

Comment

Did you happen to pull the LU?

There has been instances where the drive shaft spline(not greased), will rust to the crankshaft causing the same issue.

If you have greased those splines within the last year or two, probably NOT your issue..

Are you sure you got ALL the bolts out?
                    Scott
                    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

finally got the power head off, the two studs in the front is what was hanging up. the trick to drill the bolts worked like magic!

Comment

sorry I forgot to mention the front studs stick. they can be wedged off with chiesels and scrap blocks.

one would almost think I have worked in the salt pond.

glad ya got it off, now the fun begins.

Comment

Working...
                        X