9.9 2016 yamaha high thrust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9.9 2016 yamaha high thrust

I was tilting my 9.9 out of the way to service large engine when kicker tilt stopped working in both directions. metered the wires that feed pump motor BLU and GRN both seem to be getting power when called for. bad ground for tilt motor ????? does it use chassis to get ground to pump motor. motor has about 4 hours, hard to believe pump motor failed , any thoughts

The blue is the ground and the green is the positive when the down switch is pressed and the green is the ground and the blue is the positive when the up switch is pressed. The grounding and switching is done within a relay assembly.

Carefully inspect the power and ground leads to the trim and tilt relay.

Comment

Thanks for the print , totally understand, I just tested at the last terminals for positives on the green or blue depending up/down selected to engine ground. Now that I have a print I will recheck using relay ground . I do hear relay operate which at least means there is a neg in the relay. will be back at boat tomorrow will take a hard look at the wire between relay and terminal (main neg to motor)

Comment

ok this is where im at, the GREEN wire G and the BLUE wire L have been metered at the terminal and this is what I read. when down is pushed L is neg and G is positive and when up is pushed L is pos and G is neg which means PT motor should run. is the wiring that runs from the PT motor to the terminal 1 piece or is there a connection in there that I cant see , I sure hope so , as this is a brand new kicker and means there is a tilt motor failure, am I missing some thing ?????

Comment

Did you try to directly connect the two wires to a 12v battery? Switching leads back and forth between + and - to go up and down?

Comment

you need to hand trace the wires from the T&T motor to the relay to see if you find a connector.
            the leads on my C40 go directly from motor to relay terminals.
            I have no idea how long they wires are on your motor

Comment

thanks for the reply , im not really one to start switching things around or bi passing , my meter tells me a pos and neg are heading to tilt motor and I can see polarity change to go in the other direction, there is other a connection I don't see or the motor is pouched, it does seem odd

Comment

i think they go direct also from tilt motor to terminal, there is a protective cover so its hard to tell . that is my only hope so going to check now , the outboard is still under warrantee but im so far away from a Yamaha shop . not very happy at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by wavetamer View Post
                  i think they go direct also from tilt motor to terminal, there is a protective cover so its hard to tell . that is my only hope so going to check now , the outboard is still under warrantee but im so far away from a Yamaha shop . not very happy at this point.
                  The wires are color coded. One is blue and one is green. They are on the thicker size since they carry a considerable amount of current.

Just follow the leads from outside of the bottom cowling into the inside of the bottom cowling. I believe the leads then go to a terminal and not directly to the relay.

Get some battery jumper cables. Connect one end to the battery. Then connect the other end of the battery jumper cables to the terminal posts. Positive to blue and negative to ground to trim up and positive to green and negative to blue to trim down. If the system still does not work correctly it is the trim motor. If it now works fine it is something else.

Comment

Originally posted by wavetamer View Post
                    thanks for the reply , im not really one to start switching things around or bi passing , my meter tells me a pos and neg are heading to tilt motor and I can see polarity change to go in the other direction, there is other a connection I don't see or the motor is pouched, it does seem odd
                    Without current flowing through a wire a voltage test is all but worthless.

Comment

Just received conformation from the Yamaha tech it is indeed the trim motor as I thought. Thank you all for your help SPECIALLY the electrical sematic. In this case you had to check for voltage as with out a load (TRIM MOTOR) you will have no current flow .

Comment

maybe the brushes or fuse link in the T&T motor is what is stopping the flow of electrons in there.

If the housing is in good shape ,I would take apart and see what the problem was before buying a new one.
                        But most will just buy new T&T motor

Comment

It was a warrantee item, it was a brush gear issue .

Comment

Good to hear it is going to be covered

Comment

yes it is covered I was a little surprized when it just stopped working , these engines are indestructible , run for ever

Comment

Working...
                              X