Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha F9.9BE (1989) Color Codes

Hello everyone,

I am currently in possession of an Orkney Longliner boat with a Yamaha F9.9BE (1989). I am in the process of fixing up the aesthetics of the boat and the outboard, but realized that the outboard has some minor scuffs, and hence needs repainting.

Would anyone by any chance know the paint-code of this particular type of motor? Attached are some pictures of the blue metallic color. I have found a parts manual which states that the color could be EJ Metallic Marine Blue (MMB), but I believe that there were more variations of blue available. Could anybody confirm this?

Thanks!

look up the part. any painted part the last two alpha characters are the paint code.

the paint code changed a few years back.

Comment

Cheers! According to the manual the color code of the part is EJ; abbreviation MMB. Using the paint code I found the following two colors:

https://yshop.yamaha-motor.com.au/pr...et-mar-blue-ej

Yamaha YMM-30400-MB-10 Marine Blue

I assume that these are the same color (one with EJ code other with MB abbreviation)? How could I best prep the part for the best result?

Comment

EJ does indeed stand for Metallic Marine Blue.

From what I can tell a model F9.9BE was originally painted with colour code EJ. All of the colour coded parts should have EJ at the end of them.

For instance, part number 697-42711-00-EJ BOTTOM COWLING

Here is a paint supplier that shows some of the different outboard motors colours. http://www.colorrite.com/wizardresults.cfm

There are as many shades of blue as there are colours in a rain bow. More actually. Just because your motor started life as one shade of blue does not stop it from being painted in a different shade of blue. More and more Yamaha's here in the US are now being painted white.

Now keep in mind that fresh new paint is almost never going to match faded old paint.

Comment

Originally posted by paulkeller View Post
          Cheers! According to the manual the color code of the part is EJ; abbreviation MMB. Using the paint code I found the following two colors:

https://yshop.yamaha-motor.com.au/pr...et-mar-blue-ej

Yamaha YMM-30400-MB-10 Marine Blue

I assume that these are the same color (one with EJ code other with MB abbreviation)? How could I best prep the part for the best result?
          Degrease the part. Scuff sand. Clean the part to be painted. Prep the part to be painted with a pre-paint product. Apply the applicable primer. Lightly apply the top coat in several layers. Colour sand or not depending upon the finish you desire. Apply a clear coat top layer.

Comment

Thanks for the prompt and helpful advice! I will make a sample spray-out then to check whether the color is somewhat the same. Ill keep you guys posted!

Comment

Working...
            X