Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2014/15 T9.9 LPH won't start, won't tilt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014/15 T9.9 LPH won't start, won't tilt.

Hi guys,

This is frustrating: batteries are charged and will start my V8 inboard; 10A fuse is fine; I hear clicking when I hit the tilt up/down button; get intermittent starter click when I hit the start button; and battery terminals are fine and wires on tight.

Everything seems in order. It's 38 degrees in my shop. I'm at my wits end. Owner's manual wasn't very helpful.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

bad connection or cable somewhere between battery and the motor devices.
    could be on the + or -

Comment

I know you posted the battery is charged but did you LOAD TEST IT.

It can show 12 plus volts sitting, then when loaded, voltage drop dramatically and you don't have enough amps. Especially in the cold.

Put a voltmeter on the starter and you'll see the voltage drop dramatically..

It should be about 12.8 static...
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

if the batteries will start a v8 outboard they should be good,,
        Now if that is true then some of the connections would also be eliminated if rigged on the same boat

Comment

Thanks for the replies. My Customweld has two batteries, and either will turn the chevy v8 over with ease. Charge is not the issue.

I guess tomorrow I'll get out a wire brush and baking powder and really polish up the connections, but doubt that's the problem.

I don't see any rodent damage.

I guess my next step is to buy a service manual, if one exists, to get a wiring diagram.

Thanks!

Comment

It's obvious there's low voltage getting to the Yammy. Start checking volts at the "in use battery" and follow till voltage drops.

It's a bad connection/cable somewhere..

Obviously check the tightness of all those critical cables.

(and my boo reading over about the other engine cranking)..

Plz post back what you find...And good luck..
            Scott

Comment

2 batteries means a battery switch.
              there are connections on that to both motors.
              you know the ones to the V8 are doing well

Comment

Ok... head hanging in shame: I filed every contact that attached to the batteries, wire brushed the posts, then put all the wires back on the batteries-- and she works fine now.

Everything looked fine, no idea why only the 9.9 wires didn't have a circuit, but there it is.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Congrates! Dielectric grease helps keep the bad stuff away too...

As a side note, my stereo in the boat has a wire that needs power all the time to save the radio stations. Roughly, every month it would loose the stations and re-set(and the battery was ALWAYS hooked up and charged). My terminals were also very clean.

Now in the garage I have a spare battery (won't pass a load test but good for firing up the GPS, etc) I could not get a meter or test light to connect to 12 volts, nothing... I found the positive terminal, no corrosion, but it was BLACK...

Took a wire wheel to it, NOW I could get a connection.

CChecked the boat battery, sure enough, BLACK AGAIN(NO corrosion). Wire wheeled it, di-electric grease(about a year ago), has NOT lost the connection/pre-set's since.

I have no idea what that black was but it was definitely the issue in both cases...
                  Scott

Comment

Some people spend hundreds chasing this very issue....

Comment

Working...
                    X