Oil sender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil sender

F150. If I was to unplug a lead on the sender what would I expect? Audible, visual and code?

I can't remember the details - but I had to go to some lengths to test my oil pressure alarm -

which seems now like simply unplugging it wouldn't get the job done....
    Last edited by fairdeal; 03-03-2017, 07:16 PM.

Comment

I am fairly sure the ECU would just fail the sensor when disconnected

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
        f150. If i was to unplug a lead on the sender what would i expect? Audible, visual and code?
        PULL it!!!!

Just do it!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

it should not give an audible but most likly will flag a code.
          the ECU will see it as an open circuit not a low pressure.

but like it was said, pull it.

to actually test it you must use a resistor jumped acrossed the sensor harness.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
            I can't remember the details - but I had to go to some lengths to test my oil pressure alarm -

which seems now like simply unplugging it wouldn't get the job done....
            Speaking of tests, did you ever test your engine's over temperature warning system by disconnecting the connector to the temperature variable resistor and jumpering the two leads with a 2000 ohm resistor? If so, what happened?

Comment

with the above test? nothing would happen.
              now use the resistor AND short the temp switch and it will work.
              F motors that use a sensor and a switch must have both in agreement to operate the alarm system as designed.

f motors that use a simple switch just need the switch shorted.
              F motors that use a sensor only you must do some math and go to radio shack and buy some resistors and fake the ECU.

myself,over the years, I have a known good oil pressure sensor.
              so to test the alarm system on the oil I simply unplug the engine sensor,plug in my sensor and start the engine.

Comment

you could get fancy and hook up a little hand pump and gauge to that spare oil pressure unit and be able to pressure it up to different pressures while doing your test, but the low reading of no pressure will set off the alarm anyway so why do that unless you just want to see what pressures (over or under) will set the alarm

Comment

Working...
                X