Question about jets on a 1988 Yamaha 30hp outboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about jets on a 1988 Yamaha 30hp outboard

So I picked up a nice little skiff with a 1988 30hp Yamaha attached to the back. I pulled the carbs down to check them out and then I realized the jets on the top of the carb are different sizes. These are not the low and hi mains found on the bottom by the float. They are two jets under the plate on top.

They have different size holes but look identical. They also cannot be found on any parts search I have seen.

Does it matter which way they go back in?

Please help!

Thanks,

Jason

I am sure it does matter, but not sure how many will know what will go where

Comment

Those are called plugs. Not jets.

If they have holes I am guessing they are for the air bleeds.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
        Those are called plugs. Not jets.

If they have holes I am guessing they are for the air bleeds.

Interresting. Are they just holes or some sort of one way valve to keep gas from escaping?

Comment

Don't know. We need rodnut to ring in on this one. I don't have a clue.

Yamaha sez they are plugs which to me means no holes. But I am guessing they have a hole since the OP sez so. If so, I can only guess they are related to the air bleed system. Some how, some way.

Comment

Called a packing in the SM. Called a gasket on ebay. Looks to have a hole in it.

Yamaha 6J8-14126-00-00 6J8-14126-00-00 GASKET | eBay

Comment

that plug is simply a rubber disc that closes off a hole used when machining the carb passages.

Comment

Hah ha, instead of using a bb as they do in some carburetors.

Mystery solved.

Another mystery might be why use two different part number plugs. That will remain known only to Yamaha in their infinite wisdom.

Comment

If this is true then they should not have a hole in them.
                  maybe they deteriorated and developed the holes where there should be none

Comment

Or someone poked a hole trying to remove them.

Comment

Gents,

A picture is worth a 1000 words.

As I mentioned, the schematics online fail to show the "jets" I'm referring too. They are under the larger rubber gasket. In the picture you can see them above the holes. I set one on its side.

I racked my brain searching the internet but no luck. Anyone have an old 30? out back!?

Comment

I wounder if the M stands for main

Is it posible that this is not a 88?

post up the complete model # off of the motor so everyone knows what motor and carburetor you have
                        Last edited by 99yam40; 03-03-2017, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Sir,

That hole is center with the main but both of these jets share same fuel on top which is plugged by the rubber gasket. They definitely get fuel up here because I found good ole ethanol crystals.

The engine is: 30ELG 6J8 L

Thanks for the input. Common thinking would have me put the larger one over the main but I swear that's not how I found it. Now I'm second guessing myself.

Respectfully,

Jason

Comment

I am thinking someone may have put a different carbs on or modified the carb

which of the 3 carbs is like this?
                            or all of them the same?
                            Last edited by 99yam40; 03-03-2017, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Very odd... Which carb is this, just one or on all three, top, middle, lower carb?

1988 30ELG Yamaha Outboard CARBURETOR Diagram and Parts

Does it appear that rubber "plug" was drilled out? The holes look drilled/rough...

In any event, I'd bet the M is for main jet.

You could also check against one of the other carbs and see what's where in those (if similar)
                              Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 03-03-2017, 08:33 PM.
                              Scott
                              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                              X