Boating Safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boating Safety

I lifted this from another forum. Texas Dept of Whatever produced this thing back in the good ole days. Starring 99YAM40! Seeing how his tax dollars paid for it anyway.

Remember, "Boats are not cars!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkD4WFoufhU

He had hair back then.

So did I.

The lady providing him his TX documents reminds me of Linda Lovelace? Did she moonlight?
    Last edited by boscoe99; 03-01-2017, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
      He had hair back then.

So did I.

The lady providing him his TX documents reminds me of Linda Lovelace? Did she moonlight?
      Could be. Probably before she hit her stride....

Comment

Safety

As a former Bosun's Mate USN here are the safety rules I was taught at the small craft (50' and under) boat operators school.

1) That water's been out there for thousands of years, it only has one thought... how to get in your vessel.

2) Never approach a pier any faster than you are willing to hit it.

3) When the draft of your vessel is greater than the depth of the water, you most assuredly have run aground.

Comment

I am former USN also.

I was a bosom's mate. Joined the navy to ride the waves.

Riding some of those waves made me a bit sea sick. But I got over it. It was all done in the interests of supporting some of my fellow ship mates.

Comment

Might be the worst boating video ever made.

Comment

Boscoe, I knew you were a true patriot.

Comment

Someone needed to do it for the morale of the troops. I was the man for the job.

Now I won't go bringing up use of old glory as some might not understand. I suspect that you might.

Fought the good battle at Barbers Point, Hawaii. Never were invaded that I know of. Thanks in part to my presence.

Damn, those were the days. Unfortunately, darn near 50 years ago. Where the hell did the time go?

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                  I lifted this from another forum. Texas Dept of Whatever produced this thing back in the good ole days. Starring 99YAM40! Seeing how his tax dollars paid for it anyway.

Remember, "Boats are not cars!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkD4WFoufhU
                  Hope I didn't piss yam off with this post. Wasn't my intention. He is the first one that came to mind living in TX.

Comment

but I am one of the few.
                    the few that humped one man carry 5" wille P rounds while I was so seasick I had two shipmates assisting.

there was two of us on the boat qualed to handel wille P.

the other guy was bedridden with sea sickness.
                    I was simply throwing up.

yes I am a seasick boat mokanik.

but I humped 20 rnds of wille P back to the magazine cause the elevator took a dump.

and some of the gunners mates had to wait while I tossed cookies.

did I mention we did this with 35 ft seas and 90 knot winds.

the USS Arliegh Burke was bucking like a mule.

Comment

The Arliegh Burke was a castle compared to the USS Chucky B. DE 1035.

Sumbitch was rolling before we got out of Pearl Harbor.

In a storm in the North Pacific I swear to God I saw swabbies that were green in the face, laying on the floor of the head with their arms around the shitter. All night. The entire crew was locked inside as it was too dangerous to be on deck. Too ruff to cook. Too ruff to eat. We lived on canned juice for several days.

Ever seen a trash can slide on the floor to a wall and then leave the floor to fly across the room to the other side? The hardest part was trying to hold on and be still.

I was too young and ignorant to know how dangerous it must have been.

Comment

come on now, did anybody actually try to watch that.
                        looks like a very old one.

life was so much simpler back then

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                          come on now, did anybody actually try to watch that.
                          looks like a very old one.

life was so much simpler back then
                          Barney, Andy, Mayberry was all we needed. Oh, and the Rifleman. And Gunsmoke.

Dad had Lawrence Welk and the Ed Sullivan show.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                            Barney, Andy, Mayberry was all we needed. Oh, and the Rifleman. And Gunsmoke.

Dad had Lawrence Welk and the Ed Sullivan show.
                            Glad Yam is back. Worried about him.

I bet it was quite a party backstage on the Lawrence Welk show.

Comment

been gone to the 68 acres my siblings and I took over from Mom.
                              A little north west of La Grange Tx.
                              I am sure most have heard of La Grange before.

Lots of brush and vines with thorns we are trying to get rid of and fix up the fences. Creek bottom pasture is covered in small mesquite shrubs/trees. we are trying to cut,pile, and burn the trees to keep the pasture free from big thorns when the pasture is shredded.
                              Putting a mixture of Remedy and diesel fuel on the cuts to kill the roots.
                              We shall see how well it works

I think it was back in the middle 70s(like that video) when we helped Dad build those barbed wire fences.
                              Uncle has leased it for 20 years and he did not do much if any brush control.
                              Fences have trees grown into the wire, vines everywhere.
                              brother and I can only work a day and 1/2 before we are worn out and drive back home 150 miles to rest for a week and then head back again.
                              back in the good old days we would work all day on doing this stuff while drinking beer all day and get up the next to do it again like nothing happened
                              Last edited by 99yam40; 03-02-2017, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X