Whoa...This Looks Scary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whoa...This Looks Scary

First time I've seen one of these joe-bobs. No doubt its purpose. But can you imagine the lower unit damage that would occur if this thing hits bottom, even soft bottom? The cage will fold, catch the prop...then you know what.

It's description from manufacturer:
    "Protect swimmers, water skiers, divers and children, who are in proximity to the motor."

If I was getting on a boat with this installed I'd have to question the seafaring abilities of the operator. Last time I checked, looking back over your shoulder before advancing into gear wasn't too difficult. Or maybe I'm just too old school.

Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Pretty common devices are used here on rescue surf boats, nothing sinister or scary about them, lots of pro fishermen also use a similar setup to prevent trap ropes being caught in the prop.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
      First time I've seen one of these joe-bobs. No doubt its purpose. But can you imagine the lower unit damage that would occur if this thing hits bottom, even soft bottom? The cage will fold, catch the prop...then you know what.

It's description from manufacturer:
      "Protect swimmers, water skiers, divers and children, who are in proximity to the motor."

If I was getting on a boat with this installed I'd have to question the seafaring abilities of the operator. Last time I checked, looking back over your shoulder before advancing into gear wasn't too difficult. Or maybe I'm just too old school.

I haven't seen them with the cage on the aft end of the prop before. But I've seen them on the forward edge many times, for decades. For the same purpose as mentioned above - keeping lines, etc out of the prop.

I've even used them for that purpose in the past and, before now, I wouldn't have thought of myself as an inept operator... just someone trying to avoid the hassle of untangling a lobster trap rope. They do sometimes tend to catch weeds, but untangling a caught rope in the middle of a downpour, a 20mph wind, a "fun" chop on the water and the boat bouncing around is not fun.
      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

How about the "pitch fork guard" I seen these being used on river boats where you ARE going to strike rocks, just a matter of time.lol
        Last edited by panasonic; 08-27-2017, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
          How about the "pitch fork guard" I seen these being used on river boats where you ARE going to strike rocks, just a matter of time.lol

Heck, they even tried welding the steel fork to the aluminum!!!!
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

After getting my downrigger line wrapped on my T8 kicker I made a prop guard and also made one for my F150. But several boaters/fishermen told me that the guard on the F150 would affect the performance so never bolted it on.

Comment

Originally posted by Reel Kahuna View Post
              After getting my downrigger line wrapped on my T8 kicker I made a prop guard and also made one for my F150. But several boaters/fishermen told me that the guard on the F150 would affect the performance so never bolted it on.
              I would think it's more dependent on speed, not the size of the engine. Granted, higher HP typically equals higher speed . Depending on the design of the prop guard and the speed of the boat, I can't imagine the guard NOT affecting performance in some way. I can only imagine that as the speeds increase, the guard would cause more and more water flow disturbance. Then again, I've never actually tried it or talked with someone who has (on a higher speed boat). But I do think it's a reasonable thought that it could affect performance.

Comment

Looks like the guy caught a cat!

Comment

Wouldn't the forks bend upward with the weight of boat? Seems like prop would hit bottom anyway. Or snap those straps. Thing is a
                  mess...

Thing thing might work:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Rock-...A&gclsrc=aw.ds
                  Last edited by pstephens46; 02-26-2017, 10:57 AM.

Comment

You've got to admire redneck ingenuity.

If you ever need a crash course in how to repair stuff by thinking WAY outside the box and getting back out on the water as cheaply as possible, visit a few of the commercial waterman's marinas along the Chesapeake Bay.
                    Last edited by oldmako69; 02-26-2017, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
                      I would think it's more dependent on speed, not the size of the engine. Granted, higher HP typically equals higher speed . Depending on the design of the prop guard and the speed of the boat, I can't imagine the guard NOT affecting performance in some way. I can only imagine that as the speeds increase, the guard would cause more and more water flow disturbance. Then again, I've never actually tried it or talked with someone who has (on a higher speed boat). But I do think it's a reasonable thought that it could affect performance.
                      Just my Skeggard slowed the top end of my F150 about 1 MPH on the top end and I have to run about another 100 RPM for the same speed as before it was installed...
                      Scott
                      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                        Wouldn't the forks bend upward with the weight of boat? Seems like prop would hit bottom anyway. Or snap those straps. Thing is a
                        mess...

Thing thing might work:

Rock Hopper Motor Guard : Cabela's
                        The ones I seen where on river boats, they are essentially a very long canoe 20-26 foot long, bout three feet wide amidships, flat back. They run 15-25hp motors on them in very shallow water. The motor is NEVER locked down so when it hits bottom, usually a rock, the motor pops up and then falls back down, no damage done.

If you want reverse, put your hand on top of the cowl to keep the motor from popping up...these boats are all tiller operated.

Yes the one in the picture looks like a mess, it is just one I pulled off google images..lol
                        Last edited by panasonic; 08-27-2017, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X