tilt & trim problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tilt & trim problem?

Hi All. I am new to this forum, so just a little bit about me. 69 years young. Retired but went back to work part time for "fun money". My lovely wife and I live in our dream retirement home in NE Florida. Our hobbies include our horses, boating, competition shooting, R.C airplanes, fishing, art, the outdoors and gardening. We also get to spend lots of time with our 4 children and 5 grand children. We have a great life and are very thankful for all we have.
    I purchased a 1985 Indian River skiff that was in great condition. I was looking for a mercury but ran across this nice 1985 40hp Yamaha. Yamaha's are very popular here so I took the plunge. The 40 is perfect for my little 16 foot skiff and runs great. I installed new lower gear case seals and a water pump. Now my issue.... Tilt and trim work perfect on the trailer, also will hold trim in position while under way. I cannot trim the engine up or down while running. I stop and idle and trim works. I read a long thread here with someone with the same issue. The power trim release screw is frozen and also the screw driver slot is ruined so I am not sure how to bleed the unit with out releasing the trim pressure. It seems Yamaha made a model that only tilted. I find that hard to understand. My engine is 40 ETLK
    6H4 L 550175. I have tried to find what the ETLK designates but am stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to have the ability to trim out as the boat really scoots along and I enjoy fast on the water. Thanks ,mike ps. great forum!

from what I saw on a chart for those old motors
    T could mean power tilt or power tilt and trim

from what you described, my guess is it is just tilt with no trim

Comment

My guess is the same as 99yams. That is, your model has tilt only. Not trim and tilt.

Power tilt is a convenience when compared to manual tilt. Many a man with manual tilt would love to have a model with power tilt.

Comment

Originally posted by michaelb View Post
        Hi All. I am new to this forum, so just a little bit about me. 69 years young. Retired but went back to work part time for "fun money". My lovely wife and I live in our dream retirement home in NE Florida. Our hobbies include our horses, boating, competition shooting, R.C airplanes, fishing, art, the outdoors and gardening. We also get to spend lots of time with our 4 children and 5 grand children. We have a great life and are very thankful for all we have.
        I purchased a 1985 Indian River skiff that was in great condition. I was looking for a mercury but ran across this nice 1985 40hp Yamaha. Yamaha's are very popular here so I took the plunge. The 40 is perfect for my little 16 foot skiff and runs great. I installed new lower gear case seals and a water pump. Now my issue.... Tilt and trim work perfect on the trailer, also will hold trim in position while under way. I cannot trim the engine up or down while running. I stop and idle and trim works. I read a long thread here with someone with the same issue. The power trim release screw is frozen and also the screw driver slot is ruined so I am not sure how to bleed the unit with out releasing the trim pressure. It seems Yamaha made a model that only tilted. I find that hard to understand. My engine is 40 ETLK
        6H4 L 550175. I have tried to find what the ETLK designates but am stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to have the ability to trim out as the boat really scoots along and I enjoy fast on the water. Thanks ,mike ps. great forum!
        40 = HP
        E = Electric start
        T = Power tilt
        L = Long shaft (20")
        K = Model year designator (1985)

Comment

Thank you for the quick response. So my next question.
          My engine has no tilt pin, the ram holds the engine in what ever position you put it in at neutral and it stays at that position at any speed with all thrust against the ram only. If the tilt system is strong enough to hold position while under way, is there a way to by-pass what ever limits the system to tilt only? I studied the system last night and it is fairly straight forward, two relays reverse current to the trim motor. There must be a limiting circuit that I am not seeing. Or is the system just not strong enough to lift against thrust? I tried in gear full throttle (on trailer engine not running) and tilt works fine. Any Ideas for backyard engineering?
          Thanks,
          mike

Comment

It has to do with the internal hydraulics and valving within the cylinder itself. Possibly coupled with the hydraulic pressure that the pump is able to produce.

You could always add a power trim and tilt unit between the motor and the transom.

CMC PT-35 Tilt and Trim for up to 35 HP | CMC Marine

Comment

Seems to me that for a smaller/40HP rig like yours that the tilt feature is a whole lot more important than the trim, so maybe run it like it is. A trim would only show you a small amount of performance gain on your rig....compared to the price$$$ of adding a trim bracket....but of course it's your money to spend....

Comment

easy to back off the throttle for a second to take the load off the unit and get it to move a little and then hit the throttle again.

Many motors did not have power T&T in the past. set the motor to where you want and shoot the juice to it.
                may not get up as well if set to best at high speed setting,
                or may get up well if set to best setting for getting up on plane but not the best at high speed.

If you do not like the motor, then time to change motors

or add something different to it.

Comment

Again, thank you all for the quick and helpful replies. I will try to post a picture of the boat so you can get a better Idea. If I cant figure out the trim part I will be fine. The Yamaha seems to be a really good engine. I repainted it and it looks and preforms like new so its a winner. I am a tinker and experimenter so I will keep fooling with it for a while. I will let you all know the final out come. Again thank you for the replies,
                  Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X