Trim Gauge not responding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Scott,

It's really weird. I physically watched the part of the engine that pushes on the switch/lever arm and I can see it pushing the arm as you would expect. But it's the darnedest thing - if the engine pushes the arm, the gauge doesn't respond. If I push the arm with my finger (engine tilted up), then the gauge responds normally.

It could be that there's some type of internal "looseness" in the switch and when I push with my finger, I'm somehow making the internal looseness "tighter" - sort of like tightening the contact area.

Thanks for the thought, though, Scott!
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
      Hi Scott,

It's really weird. I physically watched the part of the engine that pushes on the switch/lever arm and I can see it pushing the arm as you would expect. But it's the darnedest thing - if the engine pushes the arm, the gauge doesn't respond. If I push the arm with my finger (engine tilted up), then the gauge responds normally.

It could be that there's some type of internal "looseness" in the switch and when I push with my finger, I'm somehow making the internal looseness "tighter" - sort of like tightening the contact area.

Thanks for the thought, though, Scott!

I know adjusting my "arm" was "opposite" of what you'd think with the actual gauge...

Part #1 (for your engine): http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...202/parts.html is what broke on mine. It was originally plastic and cracked. The replacement /updated one is steel and works like a charm..

Gentlemans bet, yours is cracked and rotating ever so slightly...
      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 02-27-2017, 11:52 AM.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

When I bought my boat/engine the sender had been stuck so the trim gauge wasn't detecting the up & down movement of the engine. After fixing sender arm I now realize I never even look at the trim gauge, eventhough it's operable.

I think the size of your boat would determine how useful the trim gauge is for the operator. A smaller 17ft boat such as mine, the trim angle has a great effect on the bow angle. Trim up or down a little and the result is immediately noticeable. The same is not as noticeable with bigger/heavier boats, so the gauge trim indicator is definitely helpful.

I agree firmly with boscoe...I prefer everything to be working correctly. Be that as it may, if my trim sender fails it costs $160 to replace. Tough to justify shelling out that much dough for a gauge feature I personally do not use.
        Jason
        1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Thanks Eveyone

Thanks for all the insight...I am a person as well if i have a gauge for it, it should be working properly and i find myself always adjusting trim based on feel. I know every day on the water is diff.. but nice to have a solid setting and gauge point mark for the normal days.

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
            Gentlemans bet, yours is cracked and rotating ever so slightly...
            Challenge accepted! It'll be a few months till I'm at the boat (you know, up here where there are actual seasons and not just one l-o-n-g, never-ending one!), but I'll take a closer look. Since it works fine with my fingers, I know the wiring and gauge are good, so it has to be something with the sensor. It's just weird!

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
              Challenge accepted! It'll be a few months till I'm at the boat (you know, up here where there are actual seasons and not just one l-o-n-g, never-ending one!), but I'll take a closer look. Since it works fine with my fingers, I know the wiring and gauge are good, so it has to be something with the sensor. It's just weird!
              Hey, it forty a couple times this winter... Just put my winter jacket up for summer!!

83F right now and sunny! That cold probably cracked that piece!!!
              Scott

Comment

We already have mosquitoes.....Supposed to be 88 Weds. Not normal this time of year. Probably snow in March....

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                  We already have mosquitoes.....Supposed to be 88 Weds. Not normal this time of year. Probably snow in March....
                  Not 10 minutes ago, I had two dolphins chasing something in the canal in the back yard, the neighbor dogs didn't like that, but pretty cool! And they weren't chasing skeeters either!!

You can send some of that cooler air down here (Not cold thou!).
                  Scott

Comment

I can't really complain about our winter - it's been pretty mild this year. Except it sucks for skiing!

Comment

Working...
                    X