2007 70TLR hard to start when cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 70TLR hard to start when cold

I just acquired a 2007 or 08 70 TLR. It is very hard to start when cold, but runs great and starts with no problem after it is warmed up. I've read other threads that suggest its a problem with the prime start system. My question is will it hurt the engine if I continue to run it with the prime system not operating correctly. Thanks in advance!

I doubt you will do the engine any harm
    I have the same problem with F60.
    It is hard to start initially and then runs like a top.
    I have tried changing plugs, pumping the ball up and running Seafoam.
    None have fixed the problem.
    The only thing that seemed to help was trimming the motor up fully
    when starting on flush muff's.
    Last edited by dark_star; 02-21-2017, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Easy enough to check the Primestart knob to make sure that it is in the correct position. It should be rotated fully counter clockwise to be in the automatic position. See diagram below.

How are you trying to start the motor when cold? Throttle normally needs to be in the idle RPM position. It is not normally advanced in that model.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
        To start, i'm leaving the throttle in neutral idle position. I checked the prime start knob to make sure it was in normal position, but engine wouldn't start. I moved the knob to emergency position, and it started immediately and idled fine. That seems to point towards the primestart needle valve not operating correctly... does that sound right?
        I just want to make sure that running it this way until I can fix the primestart won't hurt the engine. After starting, I put the knob back to normal position.

Thanks again!

Comment

If the engine starts quickly when cold, using the Primestart device turned to the OPEN position, then that indicates to me that the Primestart system needs to be serviced. Actually, more than likely all of the carburetors are in need of a thorough cleaning.

For Fairdeal and others, why is Primestart Open or Closed and not On or Off?

A Yamaha switch is On or Off but not Open or Closed. Wish Yamaha would get their mistakes to be made consistently.

Comment

Working...
          X