Yam150hp tilt trim unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yam150hp tilt trim unit

The tilt trim unit on my 2001 150hp is leaking between the pump housing and the trim/tilt cylinders . Has anyone ever had this happen and if so how tough a repair is it for a shade tree mechanic .... The ATF has run down the outside of the transom and wetted the bottom paint, Am I correct in thinking this will damage the gel coat if not cleaned off ??

Thanks, Mike

from what I've read, not uncommon for the half-dozen or so o-rings in that "seam" to need replacement

Your big hurdle is the risk of bolts shearing when you dis-assemble.

FWIW, I don't think ATF will "hurt" gelcoat

Comment

The work part of the task is the bolts. My unit on my F150 may be a little different than yours. The pump is attached with three stainless bolts. One of these is about twice as long as the other two. It will give you the most trouble. Aluminum oxide coats it over time. I bent the long bolt trying to remove it. The master tech took a torch and heated the housing around bolt until the paint burned off. He was able to get it apart and then replace the 6 or so tiny o- rings. No more leak. If you get it apart, make sure you catch all the parts that will try to fall out. He did mention removing the two shorter bolts before tackling the long bastard.....

What is the model number for this motor. There are several.....
      Last edited by pstephens46; 02-21-2017, 11:49 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure of the model # but what you've describe is what I've found !! 2 smaller bolts came out with a little effort the long one I've ground the head off and I'm thinking about rapping the pump housing off over the bolt shaft with a mallet !! If I'm successful in doing that without trashing anything else what's the success rate for rebuilding these units ? I've was told by local marina owner to replace the unit or else I'll be dealing with more leaks or a system the bleeds down from trash getting into it while apart . I don't want to spend 900.00 to replace if I can fix

Thanks, Mike

Comment

Oh my. Don't rap anything over anything. Find a machine shop. I tried to warn you. Perhaps someone with talent can help before you destroy the main housing.

In other words:

STOP! This is a delicate expensive hydraulic device!
          Last edited by pstephens46; 02-21-2017, 11:00 PM.

Comment

I had the same problem , early in my ownership, but out of warranty , there about 5-7 o rings , I cannot remember , but found them at a local ace Hdwr store , not perfect , but perfectly good enough for me to fish in a day or two , ordered the correct ones , my issue was bleeding the system, took some time , but all worked out ok, yes the bolts are a B , good luck

Comment

LOL!! Thanks pstephens46 !! Last night I managed to get the pump off the main body and remove the broken bolt !! that suckers was salt corroded so tight I had to drive it out with a punch . I think everything survived and I've cleaned all surfaces with acetone and will order all the O-rings and replacement bolts today ...... wish me luck on the assembly and a leak free unit ..
              erniefish any suggestions on bleeding the system !! I understand it takes some patience.

Comment

Some waterproof grease or anti-seize on the three bolts when re-assembling wouldn't hurt..

Sounds like you got the hard part done (short of bleeding)!
                Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by Towboat1 View Post
                  LOL!! Thanks pstephens46 !! Last night I managed to get the pump off the main body and remove the broken bolt !! that suckers was salt corroded so tight I had to drive it out with a punch . I think everything survived and I've cleaned all surfaces with acetone and will order all the O-rings and replacement bolts today ...... wish me luck on the assembly and a leak free unit ..
                  erniefish any suggestions on bleeding the system !! I understand it takes some patience.
                  Watch the attached video. Towards the end he will show you a method to bleed the unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfPyXNQQOf4

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                    Watch the attached video. Towards the end he will show you a method to bleed the unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfPyXNQQOf4
                    Great video, saved it for later use..
                    Scott

Comment

Are there any sources for diagrams for the internal parts for my type of trim tilt unit. I want to make sure I put everything back in the order it came from

Thanks,
                      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Towboat1 View Post
                        Are there any sources for diagrams for the internal parts for my type of trim tilt unit. I want to make sure I put everything back in the order it came from

Thanks,
                        Mike
                        If you go up to the top of this page, in RED, it states "purchase Yamaha parts".

Enter your year, then model (it's not listed on this thread), then the trim unit itself.

It'll show a picture of ALL the internal parts (broke down), generally in the correct order.

Unless there's many different sized o-rings (which you probably can't decipher from a picture), looking at the unit and comparing should help a bunch...
                        Scott

Comment

Working...
                        X