Yamaha 60tlrz rough idle and boggs below 2500 rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 60tlrz rough idle and boggs below 2500 rpm

Motor was adjusted wrong and carbs put back wrong before I got to it. Motor would run rough and shake below 2000rpm start leveling out above. run great anywhere above 2000. Checked comp spark and fuel sample out of carbs, element filter, water fuel separator. Fuel good. Comp 100psi across all three. Spark seemed to jump on the board. Not flow consistently on all three. This motor is suppose to fire #1 and #3 off charge coil and #2 off of cps and cdi.
    I dva tested charge coil and failed to reach spec voltage. Replaced. Also is when I pulled carb cleaned put back on adjusted sync and lync. I continued dva voltage testing the rest of components. Cps failed the 5v min only 2.5 either connected or disconnected. lighting coil giving an extra half a volt to the battery when motor running. pulser coil connected 3.5 disconnected 2.5
    cdi 118 v at ignition coil lead to ground on all 3 cyl when cranking. 9 k ohm on all three coil to ground. Motor has run lot better and starting easier now that all above has been done. However there is still a shake almost misfire below 2000. shafts aren't bent prop or drive. prop is good. also timing is off by 7 deg.
    When brought back to proper 7 de atdc none of the linkage lines up between cdi throttle cam etc. I'm confused as to why this motor is firing all three cyls while cranking. why the cps is failing its test. to me it seems like magnets in the flywheel or one of cps or cdi is causing/failing spark.
    Thanks

charge coil charges the cap in cdi for all spark.
    maybe you meant to say pulsar coil\.

if timing is off that far at idle it will not idle properly.

My C40 was showing at 14ATDC instead of 7 at idle when linkage was set at mark as manual called for.

ended up replacing the cdi to get it to function properly.

Hope you find out something different, as that CDI part is a little expensive

Comment

the timing on idle is definitely strange to me. Idle is not to bad almost like a four stroke out of balance, vibrates the boat a little but stops or smooths out above 1200 rpm. when moving linkage to make timing correct motor runs worse at idle. Im down to the cps or cdi causing odd spark. I'm also wondering why I'm getting spark on number 2 when it shouldn't while cranking.

Comment

no thoughts on why cps and or cdi are firing number 2 cyl when shouldn't have spark when cranking?

Comment

anytime the flywheel is turning it sparks on all 3.
          could you have a failing CPS? yep.
          could you have a failing CDI? yep.

Comment

thanks Rodbolt
            book says 105v to cyl 1 and 3 nothing to cyl 2.
            charge coil failed initially and was replaced. starts easier and smoother lower in the rpm range. I retested charge coil, cps, ignition coils.
            Rectifier is only producing .5 volt charge to the battery. didn't check the lighting coil yet for that. cap through coils all 9.4k ohms.
            Voltage results: Ignition coil to ground 118v each cylinder.
            Pulser coil 3.5v suppose to be 2.5v. That's all connected

Comment

Not sure why your manual says #2 does not spark while starting/cranking.
              that does not sound correct for any motor.

what manual you dealing with?
              they do make mistakes even on the ones from Yamaha
              Last edited by 99yam40; 02-23-2017, 08:02 PM.

Comment

yamaha service manual:LIT-18616-02-66

Comment

right manual correct?

Comment

I have no idea.
                    maybe boscoe99 can look it up to be sure

Comment

Working...
                    X