Command link Multifunction tach for a F40LA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Command link Multifunction tach for a F40LA

I have a 2016 model F40LA, 4 stroke, that I'd like to install a command link multifunction tach on. I found the installation instructions on this site, but it starts with a 50HP model.
    My question is," Is it possible to install one on a 40 HP?"
    Can you tell me if it is, what the pt. # of the C.L. Tach would be and what wiring harnesses I need?
    Thanks for the help.
    fishysylvan

Yes. It is possible. Here is but one way.

Not the best drawing. Had to combine two into one.

Comment

***, Thank you for the great detailed response. You answered a LOT of questions. You combio drawing is great.
      Is it possible that you know the part numbers for the harnesses that are marked as "pigtail"?
      I ordered what I thought was the command link tach, but recieved a "digital Tach" instead. It doesn't monitor nearly the functions that the C.L. does, as you know. I do have the 6Y5-83553-NO harness, along with a 6Y5-83653-00 harness. I installed these harnesses and the digital tach works as it should showing the RPM and trim angle.
      Some concern of mine was that hooking the wiring harness from the gage to the engine, the colors didn't match. There is a empty connector on the engine that has 4 pink leads. One solid pink, two pink/black stripe, one with a white stripe. The connector in the harness from the gage (6y5-83553-no) has a pink, gray,green, and green with red stripe. I did see mention in the command link installation instructions about "using the pink wired connector".
      So since it is the only "spare" one I figure that has to be it.
      Thanks again, I'm feeling more confident that I'll be able to get this done.
      Fishysylvan,
      Bill

Comment

There are two kinds of digital tachometers. Conventional multi-function type that is really analog but with a digital display. Then there is the Command Link digital with digital display.

The pigtail harnesses only work with Command Link stuff. They are not used with your conventional M/F tachometer. Forget whatever you have read about a Command Link installation.

How many ivory coloured nylon connectors does your tachometer have at the back of it? Two or four?

Comment

There are two, one male and one female. My intention is that I have the incorrect gage and I want to return it and get the "modern" command link gage. So I'm trying to amass as much info as I can to try to prevent another
          "wrong item" coming.
          Main concern was that the Yamaha site said the C.L. gage was only for 50HP and up. I looked up the number you gave me, which superseeds the -11 gage, and it's for 30 HP up which is the news I was hoping to find.
          I got the original gage from Boats.net and they've been helpfull, but I feel a little like I'm still in the woods.
          I see a 6Y8-OE83R-81-00 kit from Sim Yamaha,that looks like it has everything I need. ( ??? )
          What do you think?
          Thanks

Comment

Make up your mind what it is that you want to do. Then we can figure out how to get you there.

If you want CL then my illustration below applies. There are a number of pigtail harnesses. Only difference being length.

Yamaha's website was correct for the time in which it was written. It has been overcome by events.

Comment

No question, I'm returning the gage I have and will acquire the Command link Tach. I guess the question for me is to you see that the "kit" 6y8-OE83R-81-00, has the items that meet your drawing?
              I'm not trying to be obtuse, but trying to ovide buying the wrong thing again.
              You have been super helpful.
              I originally purchased the water pressure sender/ temp unit and have that already installed and plugged into the harness.

Comment

That looks to be the correct kit number for a single gauge kit. But it is a zero not the letter O. 6Y8-0E83R-81-00.

See page 2-9 in the catalog at this link:

http://yamahaoutboards.com/catalog/2016/MRP/

To the kit you will need to add one pigtail harness of the required length. Pigtail part numbers/lengths are shown on page 2-10.

Comment

Got it. I get the picture and will get the parts orderd, and let you know when I get it all done and working.
                  Thanks again for your help.

Comment

I just wanted to thank you for all your help. I got the 6y8-0E83R-81-00 kit yesterday. I'll be installing it tomorrow. Everthing came in the kit and your wiring drawing is perfect. All the items in your drawing are included and it will be a piece of cake to install.
                    Thanks again!

Comment

You are welcome. Thanks for the feed back.

Comment

Working...
                      X