• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no fire

Just bought a yamaha I think a 115 hp
    the plate says yamaha 115ETLG
    6E5 L 382694

Does anyone know the age of this motor and what would make the firing stop on all cylinders at once. Went to crank and none of the cylinders fired.

Any help would be appreciated. The book does not have anything on firing stopping on all cylinders at once

I'm a newbie here so all help would be helpful

Alton

stop lanyard shorted, disconnect the white wire at the CDI and retest.
    low speed charge coil shorted or open.
    use a DVM with a DVA and test the low speed charge coil output voltage both loaded and unloaded.
    CDI not grounded.
    both pulser coils failed at the same time.

CDI failed.
    perform the above tests first.

Comment

1988 model year motor. Parts can be found here

1988 115ETLG Yamaha Outboard Parts

What rodbolt calls the stop lanyard some folks will refer to as the kill switch. Might be on a panel next to the key switch or might be on a control box that has an integral kill switch. If the lanyard is pulled a switch closes and grounds the ignition system. In which case there will be no spark. Same as when the key is turned off. A different switch closes but does the exact same thing.

When you say none of the cylinders fired I presume that you are talking about none of the spark plugs are sparking. No fuel will cause the cylinders to not fire.

Here is a link to an owners manual for your model. Look at page 2-7. It describes the stop lanyard aka kill switch.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/s...-02-91_628.pdf

Comment

no fire

went out pumped the fuel bulb found it was not pumping up tight, changed the fuel line and pumped it up real tight fired right up.

thanks for the help.

first I've ran into to have to have fuel to make plugs fire.

Comment

spark plugs will spark, but cylinders will not fire if there is the wrong amount of fuel and air in them

Comment

Remember the three things required for a fire. Fuel, ignition and air. Leave any of the three out and no fire.

Comment

Once again, I think terminology has confused the issue, I think the OP is calling no fire, as not starting, where others are thinking no fire, means no spark?

Comment

"Went to crank and none of the cylinders fired."

I read that as there was no combustion taking place. Could be lack of spark, lack of fuel or lack of air.

I raised the issue that if the spark plugs are indeed firing (sparking) then perhaps the fuel should be checked.

Thinking being that it is unlikely the motor is without air.

I did not raise the issue that too much fuel can also result in a lack of combustion even if the plugs are sparking/firing.

Ambiguous questions call for ambiguous answers.
                Last edited by boscoe99; 02-15-2017, 09:08 PM.

Comment

I was thinking the motor was unique. It has a fuel sensor that tells a switch to cut spark when fuel is not present.

Comment

no fire

No it was no fire coming out of spark plugs, or at least none of them would jump fire to ground with screw driver in end of wire and held close to ground. But when I changed hose and squeeze bulb and got pressure tight it fired with first try. So there was no fire to plugs when fuel pressure was low.

Now I am having trouble to get the carbs to level out and rev up right.
                    Got a service manual and it states to adjust carbs you have to have a timing light and vacuum gauge on each cylinder.
                    Surely they can be adjusted without hooking up all this.

Note I bought the boat from a man that had some one change head gasket and rebuild the carbs. I've never had to use light andd gauge to madjust any others. But then I have never seen low fuel pressure to make it fire.

Thanks

Alton.

Comment

you are still saying spark plugs fire, which they do not.
                      They spark if they have the correct voltage.

there is nothing that will stop spark to the plugs associated with the fuel line or delivery of fuel to the motor
                      link and sync is needed when reinstalling the carbs to make sure they all are opening and closing exactly the same. And use the timing light to make sure the timing is set for proper idle, pick up,and WOT timing.

I do not think a vacuum gauge is needed or in the manual for setting the carbs on a 2 stroke 115. Just set to the spec in manual. If cleaned properly it will run well at those settings

Comment

Working...
                      X