F115 Engine Cowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F115 Engine Cowl

My engine cowl latch on back of motor is froze. I have sprayed with PB Blaster and Krolls. I can't get the lever to break loose. I am to the point of taking a grinder and cutting around the latch to get it off. I need to do a engine oil change and spark plugs. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this free. It is a 2004 model and I bought it in 2013 and put around 350 hours on it mostly in salt water enviroment.

Did you try compressing the cowl downward while trying to unlatch?

Have someone put their full body weight on the cowl.

Comment

Before grinding/cutting it off maybe try a can of Freeze-Off that uses very cold CO2 to help loosen stuck items....Auto Zone or Advance Auto will have it....worth a try here before buggering up your cowling....

Comment

My service manual shows how to release the latches when the cable fails. Not sure that is your problem

Comment

How long did you let the penetrating fluid soak in? If not very long, spray it once or twice a day for at least a few days.

I second the notion of pushing down - it might just help enough.

Another thought... and I don't if the latch on your F115 is setup such to allow this, but what about taking a plastic wedge and gently tapping it into the crevice between the cowling and the lever. Don't go crazy, but you may be able to help loosen it up that way.
          2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
          1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

The plastic lever to release the rear latch broke. It was so froze up the lever snapped when trying to release it.I used a claw hammer to fully extend the lever. I have sprayed the latch over 20-30 times. I have left the latch in the undone position for over 1/2 year. Driven on bumpy roads, gravel roads, hit waves while boating, rough waves on the ocean. nothing it is frozen. I had my mechanic, his friend and I all pushing on it prying using crowbars and wedges to try to free it. I ahve applied enough pressure you can hear the fiberglass creaking from stress. I don't know what else to di but I need to do some maintenancve on it.

Comment

New cowl looks to be around $1700.

What happens when you unlatch front and lift from the front slightly? Would that help to loosen whatever corrosion may be in the way? Wiggle it side to side a little too.

Did you try compressing it too? Before it broke?
              Last edited by pstephens46; 02-14-2017, 03:05 PM.

Comment

I would find another cowling to inspect and measure where the best place to drill or cut to access the latch to beat it open or cut it

Comment

Break the latch the use a chisel to pry between the latch arm and the cowling to force the latch open.

Comment

If you choose to cut, look at another cowl, and then cut as cleanly as you can with the aim of being able to “glue” or pop rivet a plate behind etc., to place that piece back in.

Comment

Working...
                    X