Cleaning f115

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning f115

I notice every time I pull the cowl off I have small bits of moisture collected on salt deposits on the engine. What's the best way to clean the engine? I usually just hose off my old motors with a little diluted vinegar but this has so many electronics I am scared too. What do you do?

plain old fresh water or water with saltway will work, just make sure it is dried off and spray some corrosion inhibitor on after.

what was the purpose of using a light acid to rinse with?

and should salt be getting under the cowling to deposit those salt crystals in the 1st place?

maybe you need to see about reducing the spray of water around the motor while running if it is sucking in salt spray

Comment

I get same deposits on my F150. I turn off the battery first. Also remove the two internal covers, one covers the head, other covers the flywheel. Using the hose with a spray nozzle, I adjust to a fine mist and spray everything but the air intake. I leave cowl off in the hot sun for an hour or so. No issues.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        plain old fresh water or water with saltway will work, just make sure it is dried off and spray some corrosion inhibitor on after.

what was the purpose of using a light acid to rinse with?

and should salt be getting under the cowling to deposit those salt crystals in the 1st place?

maybe you need to see about reducing the spray of water around the motor while running if it is sucking in salt spray
        The boat lives in a salt environment. Salt is in the air, you would be suprised where salt gets when you live on the water. It's not bad by any means, it's just little bits here and there that attract moisture when it's 90% humidity outside. The mild acid just helps break down the salt, it does the same as salt away.

I will just rinse her down with a mist and hope for the best. I have done this with a 2014 merc but not a Yamaha. Always a little nervous the first time.

Comment

spraying a protectant on a clean dry motor is a very go way to keep the salt and water away from most places that will cause problems down the road.
          I heard Bio shield was good along with many others.

there are a lot of rigs out there that you see lots of water spray around the motor caused by things that were mounted on the hull or transom, or maybe the motors lower unit itself.
          when running, the motor is sucking air in that comes from that area around the motor bringing moisture/spray with it.
          If you have a lot of spray and can shield or stop some of the spray, it will do the motors some good.
          If you do not have the spray then there is not anything to do
          Last edited by 99yam40; 02-12-2017, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            spraying a protectant on a clean dry motor is a very go way to keep the salt and water away from most places that will cause problems down the road.
            I heard Bio shield was good along with many others
            Got a can of Boeshield T-9 a few months ago. Supposedly Boeing formulated it... creates a film. Expensive and messy but seems to work pretty well. I use it on the trailer too.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
              Got a can of Boeshield T-9 a few months ago. Supposedly Boeing formulated it... creates a film. Expensive and messy but seems to work pretty well. I use it on the trailer too.
              Once I get it cleaned up I will use corrosion-x. Been using it on badly corroded airplanes for years and it works.

Comment

Working...
              X