Running with no Engine Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running with no Engine Oil

I have just checked my 20hp motor a couple of months into winter storage after a full dealer service. There is no engine oil in the power head. I have contacted them and they tell me that they always run the engines in the test tank after a service. But for how long and how fast?
    I shudder to think of the possible wear inflicted on my engine by their oversight. Which parts are going to need checked first please?
    I have lost confidence in my motor for future use.
    Many thanks for any advice . I don't want to be just fobbed off by them
    Last edited by Carterdent; 02-11-2017, 06:11 AM. Reason: Spelling

Obviously refill with oil.

Fire it up and run it for a little bit.

Now get a "Leak down tester", and test each cylinder per the instructions..

This test will provide the internal health of the rings, valves, etc.

You'll know after the test, how much wear, internally there is..

An oil pressure check as well, will let you know if the engine sustained any
    substantial bearing damage (make sure the oil pressure is within spec's).

***If you dare, have them do these tests (read up on them) and YOU WATCH as the results are found.... Don't let them blow you off with just a compression test (can't hurt but not as in depth).

Good luck and plz post back
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I would think the motor has to be a 4 stroke the way you are talking about engine oil.

I would also think that they would have noticed the motor did not have any oil if they actually ran it . Should have made some noises.

maybe they lied to you and did not run it.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        I would think the motor has to be a 4 stroke the way you are talking about engine oil.

I would also think that they would have noticed the motor did not have any oil if they actually ran it . Should have made some noises.

maybe they lied to you and did not run it.
        I'll go with that. Here downunder the mantra is they seem to test run or road test everything...but my experience is that it is said but not done.
        Just the other day I put car in for safety recall...something may fail electrically on the steering column causing the lights to not go on...hence why it was a safety issue. Upon returning an hour and half later to pickup car (was a 45 minute job.. would I like to wait?) was told ready in 5 they need to test drive it! I queried this need to test drive but thought how good of them to check if everything else is OK. 40 minutes later and after the third query my patience had run out... the car was just sitting there.
        I was just being fobbed off, it was just lazy excuse talk: and the car was never test driven.
        Let's hope the OP's engine was not run.....but I would still do all the tests as suggested; even though considerable damage could have occurred that cannot be detected without a teardown e.g. bearings overheated compromizing hardening but insufficient time run before accelerated wear can be a problem.

Comment

t idle with no load???
          I really would not sweat it.
          does not take much more than residual lube at low RPM with no load.
          load it and it is a different story.
          not the first 4 stroke I ever saw started with no oil in the sump, or a filter installed.

Comment

Working...
          X